Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Little Thrifty Makeover of a Makeover

Happy Monday! Today is Met Monday, which means it's time to take a look at all the makeovers - big and small. Check out the site of our hostess Susan at Between Naps on the Porch to see what she's been up to. It's also Thifty Monday - aka Today's Thrifty Treasures - hosted by the queen of thrift - Rhoda at Southern Hospitality. You never know what bargains she and others will have found to share.


A while back I redid this wreath for the spring & summer to add a burst of red and white on our black door. It still seemed to disappear from the street.


So, when I found this pocket at GW.....

I filled it with red geraniums and white peonies that I already had.

I know this is not a great picture, but I wanted to show the rockers, which I think we will be painting black. We have a lot of humidity in Georgia and the mildew loves to come live on these rockers, so I figure that black paint would be a good camouflage! Does anyone have that problem, and has it helped to have rockers, etc. painted black?

Oops! That's me on the left in the reflection of the storm door!

Hmmm, do you think it would look better with all red geraniums?
Here's my artistic shot : )

Here is a fun makeover of a piece of plain tile (I made four coasters). I cannot claim credit for this idea - Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict received a set of coasters like this from Lisa at Livin' Louisiana (on Debbie's blog dated May 9). Lisa explains in her blog how to make them - sooooo easy! It's a French writing stamp.....


topped by a fleur-de-lis stamp.
And now for some thrifty finds.....a while back I was kicking myself for not buying these 2 wire SL baskets at a garage sale for $3 total (I already had a pair) However, I ran into 2 the other day at a thrift shop - $2 for the pair!! They are so handy for a number of things - a plant, holding remotes, serving utensils, stuff, etc.!

Also found this pair of quilted off-white pillow shams - $3 for the pair. If I don't use them for shams, I will use them to cover a bench or stool or something else!

Found these sweet little casserole? fruit dish? thingamajigs at GW

I found this in my teacher stuff (does that make it a thrifty treasure?). The first time I went to France (1985) I bought this little cup and saucer for the equivalent of 50 cents because at the time it was THE French coffee cup used in practically every café. I used it to show my French students when we studied the café. I decided it would be the perfect size - petite - for my grandies to use for fun at my house. What good is it in a box in the basement??!! None!

Well, that's it for today - didn't get out to any yard sales because we had 2 more grandies this weekend. We surely do love having them here!!!!! Be sure to stop by Susan's and Rhoda's and check out the re-dos and thrifting! Linda

52 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Linda, your porch is just gorgeous. I would love to have one like that. I think the pocket is perfect with the red and white. The rockers will be beautiful painted black. Your thrifty finds are all just wonderful. The little wire baskets will be super for so many things, as will the cute little casserole dishes. Super great finds, all of them. Hugs, Marty

Four Paws and Co said...

Ooohhhh Linda, you have some awesome re-do's & finds! Love the wall pocket - I have a green one that I want to paint but it's too hot... It might pop more with all red geraniums.
Your porch is beautiful & love you paint colors. Great idea to repaint the rockers black. I think the paint store may have an additive to prevent mildew, so check when you buy the paint. I was going to use it in a bathroom.
Great thrifty finds - I always miss treasures like this. :0{

Wouldn't the cup be so cute with hot chocolate & a marshmallow???

☺♥☺ Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! I heard how you and Debbie were out having such a wonderful time thrifting! I love your wreath and I love the tin basket with the flowers in it! Your home is so pretty! We have so much humidity down here on the Gulf Coast and I know about the black smush that gets all over things. Sounds like the black paint would surely work.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Nicole A. said...

Ohhhh I love love love your finds! Any your front door looks awesome! I absolutely love your house and that porch, it's beautiful!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Salut Linda! Oh, que j'adore les petits "trucs" que tu as trouvés chez Bonvolonté!! mdr Je ne les ai pas vus! Et la tasse et soucoupe...classiques! Les taies d'oreiller sont parfaites! La poche pleine de géraniums est très jolie sur ta porte! J'espère que tu as passé un bon weekend! A demain!...Debbie

PAT said...

Your front porch is beautiful!! I love the container with red and white.

★Carol★ said...

Love that basket on your door, and I like the mix of the red and white flowers! Your porch is so pretty too. Those wire baskets are really nice, and you sure got lucky to find another pair after you passed on the other ones!

Kammy said...

I love your finds and re-dos ! I have been looking for a metal tin door hanger like you found - good job !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Kathi said...

Your porch looks so festive! Love what you did with the GW pocket!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Linda, your front entry looks great, love the wall pocket & I like the mix of red & white. So pretty to spruce up your door. Great finds too!

Gwen said...

That pocket adds just the right punch! I like the mix of white and red flowers.

Good finds!

blushing rose said...

Lovely touches for each place. Love it! TTFN ~Marydon

MindyMac said...

The pictures of the porch turned out well! I don't think it's ever looked so good!

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Your porch is so inviting. I would love to sit on the porch in the evenings and watch everyone go by. Our porch is in the back. Painting the rockers block to hide the mildew is a good idea. I love the little tin pocket with the geraniums.

Sarah Robbins said...

Love the stamping! What a great idea!

Signing Out said...

Great finds! I love red and white geraniums in the pocket on the door. Your porch is beautiful!

Jane

blushing rose said...

That is so cute. They come up with the cutest things ... aren't kid-lings the most precious ever?! TY for popping over ... TTFN ~ Marydon

Rhonda said...

hello - love your name - our daughter is also Nina -
and that french words with the fleur de le project is great - I even have both kinds of stamps already

Jewel Sauls said...

Your porch is beautiful! Our rockers are painted black/green and if there is mildew we never see it - even on our pants!!! HA!

I love your coasters. My garden club made some similar last year. :D Jewel

Blue Creek Home said...

I hear ya about the humidity - it's bad in AL too. Great idea to paint the rockers black. The arrangement looks great n the white tin pocket.
Rhonda

KD said...

Oh I adore the new door basket! Bravo!

Unknown said...

Great finds! Love the flower pocket, looks lovely on your door! Those coasters are fabulous! The wire pot holders are great!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Susie Q said...

I know the humidity thing well. I think there are additives for paint for mildew prevention OR you can buy it already in the paint. I have no earthly idea where I heard/saw/read it, but you might check at the paint store (duh!)

Patricia said...

I love your door pocket
I am a sucker for red geraniums and adore the look of red and black on a home

Great blog it is my first, but not last, visit!

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Some lovely thrifies ...I didn't realize you were plagued with mildew in The south so much, That would be hard trying to keep your rockers and other outdoor things from showing the mildew. Maybe black is your answer.. xoxo~Kathy, Up-North

imjacobsmom said...

Cute new addition to your front door. I think it looks cute with both the red and white flowers. How lucky to have stumbled upon the cute little baskets that you left behind. You're right they would be great for so many uses. ~ Robyn

susan said...

Linda--I love your front porch and think your rockers will look great black! That should thwart this southern humidity! I like the red and white together too!

Shirley said...

You are very inventive. The white pocket is perfect for your door. Tell, me, how did you hang it on the glass???? I love your porch. Beautiful!! We even get the mold problem sometimes in a warm humid summer in Ohio. I have to repaint my front door because of it. Someone told me to scrub it with bleach first, then make sure it's dry before painting.
Shirley

Sandra said...

Hello! I love all your finds! The white pocket with red & white flowers looks great!
Blessings,
Sandra

Surviving 4 said...

Hmmm... "Thin-gama-gigs?" Now what exactly are those? If I were doing a scavenger hunt, I would have NO idea :)

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

Okay, this post was freakin me out! First, I remember you sharing that white pocket in an earlier post, and I think I commented that I have one like it on my front door. I filled it with red, yellow and blue flowers. That sounds tacky, but it's really pretty. Then we had something else in common, your black door. Also, I have two rocking chairs on my front porch. They look exactly like yours.
They were originally white, and I painted them black! I love them black! By the way, your porch is gorgeous!
Then I scrolled down and laughed out loud when I saw the wire SL baskets. I got the EXACT pair from GW but I paid $4.00 for the set. I'm serious, I need to send you a picture! I'm using the larger one as a toilet paper holder in our guest house for right now.
We have a few more similarities..I am a teacher too (but a SAHM for now) and my husband is from Georgia, so we are in those "parts" all the time.

Just had to share all of this with you, I found it funny....
Blessings,
Traci
p.s. I am having my first giveaway, come check it out!

Fifi Flowers said...

LOVE those tin envelopes... CUTE on the door!

Mary said...

What great finds! :O)

Unknown said...

Your front porch is fantastic! And your little projects are great! I'm really liking those quilted shams... I too could think of a lot of things to do with them! Stop by my blog for my 100th post giveaway if you get a chance!
Have a great week!
~Really Rainey~

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

Gorgeous. You really nailed the beauty of the arrangement with your 'artistic shot'. Love the red and white together.

Brenda Pruitt said...

I don't have any answers on black rockers and the humidity. But as for the geraniums, I think the mix of white and red is perfect. I love what you did with the tile. And as for pillow shams, I often get tired of couch pillows and use bed pillows instead with shams. It's more comfortable than regular couch pillows (great for napping!) and you need only use one in each corner. I have mine like that right now on my garden room couch.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I like the mix of red and white! Great finds too!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Love the flowers on the door. Love your porch. The rockers would look good black. And the coasters are fabulous.

Suzanne in TX said...

That picture of your porch makes me want to come visit! It looks so inviting and welcoming! Just lovely. Hope to see you over my way someday...

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Looks like you had some great finds. Thanks for visiting.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

I love the pocket with the red and white geraniums! You can really see them against your door. Great front porch! Yes the hummidity is bad some days!

Manuela

Christina said...

You found some great things. Love the pocket on your front door. Your porch is beautiful. My hubby wants a front porch w/rockers one day.

I also love the black wire baskets. Those are fabulous.

Courtney said...

Those flowers look great and I love the wire baskets and the little dishes!
Blessings!

Terri said...

Linda,
What a deal on those wire baskets! My friend bought them retail price from Southern Living and I borrow them often.... I like to put utensils in one and napkins in the other.

Quiltpiecer said...

I love the white pocket with the red and white flowers - an improvement over the wreath (tho that is also very nice). But I really luv the tiles and wire baskets! The shams are great, too, and I like Brenda's comment re: using bed pillows for the sofa! Will have to keep an eye out for shams! Thanks for sharing!

KBeau said...

I like the combo of the red and white.

About your rockers. My painter tells me that an exterior latex paint resists mildew better than an oil based paint. When we built this house, it was originally painted with an oil based paint. Last year when I had the porch painted, we switched to a latex (after first priming, which is necessary if you're going to paint latex over oil). I didn't have nearly as much mildew this year.

xinex said...

Hi Linda, I love the addition to your porch, looks great the way it is. Also, I like the SL wire planters. I have them too but I sure paid a lot more than you did...Christine

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Linda, your porch is lovely and so inviting.. Love all the nifty thrifty bargains you found,.. I hope all is well your way.
Happy Fourth hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! It's always nice to hear from you! Oh, summertime is really a busy time for me! We get so busy doing other things, don't we? But that makes life fun! Have a wonderful 4th!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I REALLY want to go shopping with you and Debbie. Ya'll find the best things! your front porch just looks so welcoming. Love the pocket of flowers. Have a wonderful holiday weekend. laurie

Charlotte said...

Hi Linda...thanks for such a lovely comment on my post about the folks...your porch is beautiful and I have thesame problem with the mildew on our rockers...I was thinking of painting over the natural look...let me know how yours come..I can't do black because my house is brown with green shutters and a red door but dark green might work for me...Have a great 4th..

santamaker said...

What a classy southern porch. Reminds me of Charleston. I have that same white pocket which I change out seasonally!