
Who has time for much more than fun on a holiday weekend? In between swimming at the pool with our grandies and sharing a July 4th meal of "the best grilled steak I ever ate in my life" (thanks, SIL!)glazed with bleu cheese butter, fresh corn on the cobb, broccoli slaw, watermelon and homemade strawberry shortcake (and an "incroyable" hors d'oeuvre), the Boston Pops, fireworks, and church on Sunday, there wasn't much time left. We are so fortunate to live in this free country, thanks to our forefathers, who had faith in God and were wise enough to "build our house on the solid rock" of our Lord. I pray that we never forget that.Anyway, last Monday I posted my porch and bemoaned the mildewy white rockers . Well, procrastination is over and done with, thanks to the Hubster, my hero.
He thoroughly-and when I say thoroughly, I mean 150%- cleaned those babies and then primed them and gave them several coats of black paint. That'll show that mildew! Ha! Try to show off now!

Sorry, I've gotta brag on Hubster!
Another redo - though not so obvious. I got some pillows at GW with down inserts for $2, and I put them in my needlepoint pillows and - voilà - they look much better! Oh, you see that baby? That is an old baby doll that I have at my house and I'll tell you what, the grandies fight over her! Why? I don't know, maybe they feel sorry for her, look at her hair!!! Grandie #1 washed her hair 4 times and it still looks like this. Anyway, she told me I should make a dress for the naked baby doll, so for $2 at HLobby I got fabric to make a dress, and there it is.
Isn't she cute?! Do you think a conditioner would help that hair?!!!
And now, what to do with the left over fabric? I made grandie #1 a matching apron (free!) -she LOVES to cook at my house!

Uh-oh, what about the other grandies? Got some HobLob butterfly fabric to make aprons for the flibberty-jibbert twins, and some polka dots for wild and crazy grandie #4. (I'll figure out something later for the boy grandies.)
This fun Pottery Barn curtain for $3 will work perfectly as a tablecloth!
And 3 yards of "La Petite Ferme" toile for $3 will also be made into a tablecloth (for those wonderful tablescapes!).
Now, this is a mystery - maybe you can help me out. It's a GW find at $5 - a lithograph or something called "Le Limonadier Napolitain" by the Gerhaut Frères, engraved by Morner.
He thoroughly-and when I say thoroughly, I mean 150%- cleaned those babies and then primed them and gave them several coats of black paint. That'll show that mildew! Ha! Try to show off now!
Sorry, I've gotta brag on Hubster!
Another redo - though not so obvious. I got some pillows at GW with down inserts for $2, and I put them in my needlepoint pillows and - voilà - they look much better! Oh, you see that baby? That is an old baby doll that I have at my house and I'll tell you what, the grandies fight over her! Why? I don't know, maybe they feel sorry for her, look at her hair!!! Grandie #1 washed her hair 4 times and it still looks like this. Anyway, she told me I should make a dress for the naked baby doll, so for $2 at HLobby I got fabric to make a dress, and there it is.
Isn't she cute?! Do you think a conditioner would help that hair?!!!
And now, what to do with the left over fabric? I made grandie #1 a matching apron (free!) -she LOVES to cook at my house!
Uh-oh, what about the other grandies? Got some HobLob butterfly fabric to make aprons for the flibberty-jibbert twins, and some polka dots for wild and crazy grandie #4. (I'll figure out something later for the boy grandies.)
This fun Pottery Barn curtain for $3 will work perfectly as a tablecloth!
And 3 yards of "La Petite Ferme" toile for $3 will also be made into a tablecloth (for those wonderful tablescapes!).
Now, this is a mystery - maybe you can help me out. It's a GW find at $5 - a lithograph or something called "Le Limonadier Napolitain" by the Gerhaut Frères, engraved by Morner.It is Italian (I have French/Italian heritage on one side of the family), published in a French publishing house. The limonade stand in Naples. The frame is 18 x 16.

Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict and I were playing Sherlock Holmes, trying to figure out age, art medium, value, etc. I emailed the German framer below in Lindenassee, Germany.
They promptly emailed back and were very gracious, telling me it was framed sometime around 1965 or so and that it was sort of a political satire done around 1900. I may or may not have a treasure, but I love the dark tones of the background and the fact that it is Italian done by a Frenchman. Debbie says I should take it to the Antiques Roadshow, what do you think?

Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict and I were playing Sherlock Holmes, trying to figure out age, art medium, value, etc. I emailed the German framer below in Lindenassee, Germany.
They promptly emailed back and were very gracious, telling me it was framed sometime around 1965 or so and that it was sort of a political satire done around 1900. I may or may not have a treasure, but I love the dark tones of the background and the fact that it is Italian done by a Frenchman. Debbie says I should take it to the Antiques Roadshow, what do you think?
49 comments:
Hi Linda! What a nice hubby painting your white rockers to black. They look wonderful!
Now your baby doll is a hoot! Poor little thing! She must have been under a lot of stress and tried pulling our her gorgeous locks! :)
I love those sweet little aprons!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
Oh, I love the rockers painted black. I have two on the porch and really need to paint them something. Your print that you found is stunning and how nice to have some information about it. I would take it to the Road Show if you could. The little doll and her dress and the aprons are all just stunning, and boy what fabulous fabric finds. I need to shop with you and Debbie. Hugs, Marty
The rockers painted black look wonderful! I have a couple rockers that could use painted maybe I'll paint them black. Warm wishes, Esther
Those rockers were made to be black, weren't they? They look outstanding.
Bleu cheese butter - that sounds absolutely divide! My 4th of July was great, but the food was so-so. It sounds like you had the best of both worlds - great food, great 4th!
You broke tradition and painted those rockers black- how inspiringly fantastic!! I love the change!
:-)Sue
Pretty porch and like the black rockers. You got some good deals. Poor baby's hair. :) My daughter carried a baby doll around by it's hair when she was little and it got to the point it stood straight up permanently.
Glenda
Black is the way to go it seems. I am seeing more and more pieces painted and they look marvelous.
I envy you your porch. What a nice spot to sit in.
Salut Linda! J'aime bien tes chaises à bascule! Elles sont très belles...et pratiques! Et la pauvre poupée...presque chauve! Mais sa robe et le tablier sont jolis!! Tu as trouvé beaucoup de jolis tissus!...Debbie
Love the black rockers! They look fabulous on your porch. Also - you are so talented to have made that doll dress and matching apron! Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com
Hi Linda. Hope you are doing well. Love those black rockers! They look great.
Always good to brag on the hubby a little sometimes! The rockers look fabulous painted black! Love that toile and the PB curtain that you're turning into a tablecloth!
The chairs look awesome! Does dad want to come and paint mine? (after he fixes the broken rocker on one!) That baby doll is frightening, but her dress is adorable and the girls will LOVE those aprons! Molly just loooooves to stir anything! Scotty has his chest puffed up from your praise!
Linda, I love the black rockers too! Those are great & your needlepoint pillows too. You are very handy with that sewing machine if you did all that sewing.
The porch is so beautiful. Mine needs cleaning so bad. Im from the South and there is nothing like a front porch!
I love the rockers with their new black paint.
The art is beautiful...I can't wait to find out the story on them. Digging for info like this is fun.
Oh, the aprons are too cute!
Rhonda
Great job - I love black paint a little too much - I really love how they look with your black door and shutters ! You did get some great bargins this week. I will have to look more carefully through the tablecloths for the fabric - great idea !
Hugs ~ Kammy
I love the rockers in black!!!
The rocking chairs look terrific painted black. Three cheers for hubby!
I love all the fabric finds and the doll's dress you made. Now about her hair ... it kind of looks like mine when I wake up in the morning. Maybe I need some of that conditioner! ;)
Jane
Painting those rockers black is stunning. I just love it!
The rockers look great!! Good job! Love the little aprons too!
Your porch is BEAUTIFUL and the rockers look Awesome black! Love the little apron! To cute about the dollie...Thanks for sharing!
i LOVE your front porch....it's just lovely
Great job - I LOVE your porch and the rocking chairs look awesome! :)
Hi Linda, Ahhhh!
Your sweet baby doll is too cute and that "grandies" love her so much! That is adorable the aprons you made for them.
Your front porch and your "new" black rockers are so stunning! Love it all and kudos to your hubby.
~Happy MM! ~Melissa :)
Great job on the rockers! Very nice! Sweet baby doll too!
Linda-So glad you (husband :) went with black on the rockers--keep him--he's a sweetie. I think the doll is past conditioner and possibly a Rogaine candidate. Your weekend sounds perfect! Have a great week!
The black just pops! Love it!
~Liz
Linda, your hubbie did a fabulous makeover on those rockers! They look fabulous on your porch! Do you ever loan him out?(jk) ;)
The dress you made for the dolly is so adorable. As far as the hair...I'm really not being mean, but, the dollie need a cute bonnet...or dolly wig. lol (sorry)
Love the aprons! Your fabrics are so lovely!
Good luck on the framed litho. It could amount to something. You could always check with a local auction house. They could easily lead you to someone who specailizes in that particular field.
Thanks for sharing your fabulous finds!
Tina
The black rockers, rock! The hubster sure did show that mildew and those cute fabrics and that painting, super finds! Anyway, money maker or not that painting is precious!
Yep, they look so much better black! They stand out so much more on the porch. Tell Hubby good job! And I love that little baby doll. Her hair looks great...that's the style nowadays. I call it the "wind blown" look!
Love the aprons too! You are super talented.
Traci
Tell Hubster that he's a hit with the blogger ladies! Beautiful job on the black rockers! Loved your sewing projects & feather pillow insert in the needlepoint was a wonderful idea. Good luck with the picture! ☺ Diane
Looks awesome-- arent you both lucky to have such wonderful people in each others life.
I love the black contrasting rockers!
TTFN~~Claudia ♥
Love the rockers, makes me think of glasses of sweet tea and girl talk.
And you can sew cute things, no less! Along with the fact that you decorate and find good buys. You've completely changed the looks of that porch. Can't wait to see what you come up with next, girl! (Oh, and your hubby!)
Brenda
I think thats cool that you did a little detective work on those pictures! Good sleuthing! I hope you have a fabulous week!
~Really Rainey~
The Rockers Look Wonderful! Love the black!
Your rockers look fabulous! What a wonderful husband to clean and paint them for you. I bet your gradies have a wonderful time when they visit you. Looks like you make it a very special time for them.
Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com
Linda, Those rockers were meant to be black! Kudos to your DH for a job well done!
The black rockers look great! I love that toile material you found!
Your porch looks so beautiful and inviting! Thanks for the tour!
Very interesting picture. Interesting what you have been able to find out about it.
I also love the PB curtain you found. That will make a great tablecloth.
Hi Linda,
The rockers look fabulous~ kudos to hubby! When I was little, there was this one funny looking little doll that we fought over so much, that story reminded me of it! I love the fabrics and neat GW pic you got there! Hugs, Cindy
What a gorgeous porch! Kuddos to your DH.
Your hubby is so sweet, Linda, definitely a keeper. He did a great job on those rockers. The doll clothes are so cute....Christine
Hi Linda! I've entered your name in my giveaway!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
I'm with the others - I love your rockers painted black, they look like they were meant to be. Cute aprons, too. ~ Robyn
Linda, love the painted rockers! They look so pretty and tie in with your door. Your porch just looks so inviting. I guess the mildew didn't look very inviting! The doll dress and aprons are so cute! (I kind of think dolls shouldn't be absolutely perfect-that may be one of the things that leads children to grow up believing that if they are not perfect looking, they are worthless!) Your lithograph is so great! I'm tellin' ya, that GW store has got to be one of the best in the country! laurie
Good morning! Thank you for your sweet comment on my chair slipcovers. I wish I could take credit for making them but I ordered them from Ballards (you know, that great store in Atlanta?). Although they are made to fit their Louis chairs, they fit pretty good on mine, just had to fold over the top portion.
Love your porch....makes me want to spruce up mine. But you know how how it is here so I've yet to work up the energy to do anything outside this summer.
Hugs,
Judy
Linda,
Your rockers looks really striking black and that doll apron is adorable.
Cathy
Post a Comment