Sunday, February 22, 2009

Toile Tweaking for Tykes

Welcome to another great Met Monday, which is hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. You will love visiting her site for lots of decorating inspiration, as well as finding out who else is participating.



Toile Tweaking for Tykes and Toddlers is certainly a tongue-twister! This is a post about a guest bedroom that evolved into a dorm for the grandies. As you will see, it is done in black and white toile, with childhood touches. I know that there is too much furniture in the room, but this is what we need right now in order to house 6 grandies from time to time. Our daughter's lovely white twin iron bed was moved to a bedroom/office and used as a daybed, so we had to use a double bed. Then a desk had to move to the foot of the bed in order to make room for a crib. A few tweakings of wall treatments had to take place.

First, the double bed....I just wasn't liking the rooster pic here.


So we lowered it and added iron scrollwork above.

I like the height better.


This desk is not a pretty sight - and neither is the basket of toys under it.


So......sew! I made a slipcover for the desk using black & white ticking (which I had used in the window treatments along with toile and check).


Add a plant and there's still a place to put a basket with diapers, etc. when the wee ones are here.


These treatments were not difficult to make.


Another odd window.


The crib is where the slipcovered desk was. I had enough material left over to make a little bedskirt for the crib.


I saw these prints in Debbie's house (Confessions of a Plate Addict), and had a fit over them. They are little French paperdolls in their Provincial dress! Absolument adorable! So I ordered a book of them!

A close up of "les petits enfants français".



The plant is blocking the toile plates. Sooooooo


I added the shadow box with a baby dress of mine that my mother had recently given to me.


Had to move the plant because it was blocking the scalloped border of the bottom of the dress.
Still need something up there, but not sure what. Any ideas?


I HATE doing closets, but I love to be organized, so I got everything in baskets and labeled them.
Everything in it's place neatly! Made tags for all containers and tied on with white string.


There is no doubt where to put things away now!


Well, this bedroom is ready to sleep our 4 girls - 4 yr., 3 yr. twins, and 2yr. old. The baby boys are still in Pack & Plays - so they go in other rooms, closets, whatever. Thanks for visiting the Toile Tweaking for Tikes & Toddlers. You ought to come back when they are all here and the chaos begins!!!! Love 'em!!!! Oh, be sure to go by Susan's at Between Naps on the Porch and see some great Met Mondays!



















































32 comments:

janet said...

oh wow, you are so creative, this room is amazing!!!! I love everything you have done, the valances are awesome and black and white toile is one of my favorite fabric patterns....so timeless
thanks for sharing
hugs
janet

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Linda...you are so talented...wish I could sew like that! Love your frenchy bedroom/nursery! Those paperdolls are precious! How much fun it must be to be at your home when everyone comes to visit! I love all the changes you made...great transformation! Susan

mah said...

Go Linda, love your metomorphis!! You know sometimes we think kids don't pay attention to decorating BUT we would be so wrong to think that!! My grandsons notice everything that I change or add! I love the fabric. Have fun with them and give lots of hugs and kisses! mary Ann

Unknown said...

I Love, love, love the black toile! Have fun with those grandbabies!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Mary Ann,
You are so right about our grandchildren noticing things....they have eagle eyes! Thanks for visiting. Linda

Candy said...

Like all the changes and for the dresser top, maybe some books or alphabet blocks to spell their names.
Candy

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

You made such a nice room for them! I'm sure when they come to visit, their stay will be more than comfortable. I love how you organized all the toys and the skirt for the desk is beautiful. Love it all!
~Michelle

Tracy said...

Your window treatments are so pretty, and I just love the black and white toile theme. The paper dolls are adorable, what a cute idea to frame them.

LaurenFaythe said...

I love your storage! I think the toile is so nice and classic.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Linda! Que tout est joli! J'adore la toile de Juoy! Et tes rideaux sont vraiment magnifiques! Ah...si je savais coudre comme toi! Très jolis chambres pour les petits!!...Debbie

southerninspiration said...

Looks fantastic!

Suzanne

Tammy said...

I bet your grandchildren feel very special having their own lovely room to stay in. It's kid-friendly, but not juvenile, and I love that.

Kat said...

This is lovely room! I love your creative solution to hiding the desk! And the fabrics are wonderful. I love the shadow boxed dress. Thanks for sharing your "grand" transformation! Kathy

~CC Catherine said...

Linda, Thanks for the recent comments on my Meta Monday post and the idea of the color that you have in this room. It is very nice! I love your B/W Toile room for the kiddies.....it's really so pretty! I'm with you on those French pics over the babies crib. They are precious. Also liked the way you dropped the pic over the bed., I need to do that in the room that I showcased., some of them are not where I want them to be. ;) Great post! ~CC Catherine (Looking forward to meeting you also on Mar 2nd)

Terri said...

That's a great room. I love toile, too, and have red toile in my kitchen and blue toile in my scrapbook room. I have three year old twin granddaughters as well. Stop by and check my out. I'm new to blogging and just getting started.

Anonymous said...

Your room for your little grandies is adorable. I love the black and white and especially with the toile! You really have vision and have made this room functional as well as the prettiest bedroom of all!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

xinex said...

The room came out really good, Linda. My favorite is your baby dress. How precious to have it....Christine

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Linda, this is great! I really love the toile and the curtains you made! That organizing for the grandkids toy closet is just the ticket. I wish I had a grandkid just to do all those cute things for. What a nice redo. Cindy

Four Paws and Co said...

This is such a beautiful transformation! You're so talented too. I'm in love with the desk cover & your closet organization. Great post!!! ♥ Diane

Jewel Sauls said...

A beautiful room made even more beautiful by your tweaking! I love the prints of the paper dolls and your window treatments are wonderful! Lucky girls to have such a room! :D Jewel

Anonymous said...

I'm back to answer your question, no, I can't tat (I'm not sure of the spelling, either). My grandmother could and I loved what she'd done. I taught myself to crochet with a little help from a friend and thought I could teach myself to tat! I bought the little shuttle and instruction book! Shoot! I just couldn't do it and didn't know of anyone who could show me. Now I think that really is a dying art, don't you?
Have a beautiful day.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :0

MindyMac said...

One day we will get Molly to sleep in that bed and not in the crib!!!! I think it's tykes, by the way.

Bo said...

You did have great vision for this room & pulled it off beautifully. The closet organizers are another excellent idea...I'd love to be there when the chaos begins...LOL
;-) Bo

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

GM Linda, I love coming here and seeing everything you do girl..I love the toile..I want a toile bedroom so bad..but still have not found PINK and YELLOW toile fabric yet and I have been every where online looking...love the baby dress framed..I did my Dad's pants from when he was a toddler years ago like that...Great post girl...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Stacey said...

Great job tweaking the room! That's what I like to do too..especially these days when we all need to be budgeting carefully.

Love your toile. Love the baby dress up there too!!

Glenda said...

I adore the skirt and slipcover you made for the desk and crib. Very, very clever and crafty as well. The change you made with the picture over the bed makes the arrangement look more substantial to me. The framed paper dolls are perfect in this room for children, especially girl children.

As a self-confessed sufferer of OCD as it pertains to organization, I truly admire what you did with the toys, etc.

And BTW, either tyke or tike is correct. In fact my dictionary list tike as a variant of tyke.

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Glenda,
Thanks for the info about tyke/tike. I Looked for the word "tike" in the English part of my French dictionary, and it wasn't there....so I yielded to the French and went with "tyke". Guess I should have asked Webster! Thanks so much! Linda

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

My, you've been a busy bee. I like the way you lowered the picture and added the ironwork,it definitely works. I'm considering doing the skirted desk in my guest bedroom. Love that idea.

DesignTies said...

You did so many creative things to pretty up the room :-) The crib bedskirt is cute, and the little dress in the shadow box is so charming. Don't put anything in front of it, you have to show that off!! Rather than adding something to the top of the chest, can you remove the lamp to create balance and really showcase the dress & plates??

I'm sure your grankids and anyone else visiting you will enjoy sleeping in your guest bedroom :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Charlotte said...

Love the framed French paper dolls...what a great idea to frame them....

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

This looks so great! Love the idea of making a skirt for the desk! laurie

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very cute! Love what you did!

XO,

Sheila :-)