Monday, July 2, 2012

Flag Pillow and More

It's July and it's hot everywhere!
What do you do when the temps are in the 100's for 3 days?
Stay inside! Work on some projects!
I decided to give this patriotic pillow a try.
I liked this version (we once had 9 colonies) since there
were fewer stars to deal with.
created this pillow and shares a great tutorial.
I had everything but the paint (66 cents for red and blue) on hand.

After you follow her directions for size,
taping, painting,
this is what it looks like.
Note:  I goofed by drawing stars BEFORE I
removed the vertical tape between the blue and the stripes.
                               That's why there's a little too much space on the right of the stars.
I decided to go with it anyway as is.
When you get to this step, Laura suggests  soaking  the
drop cloth flag top in some bleach and water to give it a weathered effect.
I like the way it toned down the colors in the flag.
Plus, another interesting touch is that the flag top is actually
sewn onto another larger piece of drop cloth,
so you get some slightly raveled edges around the pillow -
I like that, too.


My faux grain sack runner was a little skimpy with 2 leaves
in the table.
So I got one yard of the fabric and added a ruffle to each end
like Debbie at Plate Addict did.
I like it better.


I had time to put another coat of
Old White chalk paint
on this chest.  Still working toward the right color.
I love working with this paint - it's so forgiving
and covers a lot quickly.
This little tray is getting a makeover, too.
The rooster has alreay been covered up in Old White.
I have a French label ready to put in the middle.
                                              I think it's cooling down to 97 today - woohoo!

Happy Fourth of July to you!
May we never take the freedoms that we have for granted.

May God bless the USA,
and blessings to you, too!
Linda

Joining:
                                                    The  Farmhouse Porch for Cowgirl Up
                                                   A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
                                                  Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
                                              Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

14 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great job on that pillow Linda, love it! Love that pretty runner on your kitchen table too! Have a Happy 4th!

Honey at 2805 said...

Nice job! Love the pillow, Nina! Adding the ruffle was smart; it really looks good!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Very cute pillow. I love the slightly rugged look.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love your pillow, it is wonderful. I love the porch too, it looks so inviting and the flag is perfect. You have been busy. Great redo's. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love that pillow, Linda, and how you can see it in the background of the flag in your last picture. I wouldn't even have noticed the spacing issue with the stars.

Sarah said...

Linda, you and Debbie amaze me. Both of you girls are always busy creating something new. I admire your energy and enthusiasm. Cute flag pillow!
Happy 4th of July ~ sarah

Twinkle Terrior said...

Linda ! I just love the blog and patriotic post! Have a great holiday and God bless the USA! ox

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Gosh I love that pillow Linda, great job on it!
Funny thing is I made one today too, but mine is just sewn.
Love the runner, love your dining room, it's all so pretty!
Happy 4th too,
Cindy
We were 99 today in Wisconsin with a heat index of 105...not fun.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

How cute is that pillow! Wow...you have been a busy bee! Here...lots of babysitting! Have a great 4th!...hugs...Debbie

Anne said...

Linda happy 4th to you too ! Stay cool. I agree that it's a perfect time to get caught up on some projects when it's real hot like this.

PAT said...

The flag pillow and runner are wonderful, Linda.

Happy 4th of July!

Art and Sand said...

Love your pillow. I just painted stripes on some canvas to make a little throw rug. I think I am going to do a flag next.

Also really love the runner.

Laura @ duke manor farm said...

Linda- your pillow looks terrific. Glad I was able to inspire you with 9 stars and some stripes!:) Have a great 4th of July!! Laura

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Linda, your patriotic pillow turned out great. The runner is also great. Very creative....