So what do you think about mantels?
Are they overwhelming, challenging?
Do you prefer symmetrical or assymetrical?
Personally, I have no idea what I like....I just like it to look good....
but Daughter recently rearranged DIL's mantel.
She started with good bones.....
a pair of topiaries
AND
a gorgeous oil painting by her brilliant sister, who is also an incredible photographer!
a pair of S.L. sconces
some GW candlesticks
and a wreath
Who'd a thunk???? A wreath????

I.LOVE.IT.

I love the symmetry.

This is Daughter's mantel.
I showed it once before, but it's been changed. Again.
The hurricane thing in the middle, the lamp and the naked topiary on the right
are all GW treasures.
Of course, D added ribbons and tags.

Another wreath. Love it. It's unexpected.

I love the asymmetry.
It was very symmetrical during Christmas.
I think it wants to be asymmetrical now.
Not sure.
Don't know where to put the wreath (it's temporarily on a stocking nail!)
Hmmmm....looks like it needs to go to the other side.
Too late now for the pic.

Symmetrical or asymmetrical?
I'm joining Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Boring to Better
Beth at The Stories of A 2 Z for the Mantel Party
Have a wonderful week.
Blessings to you!
Linda






26 comments:
I love it. I'm not very good at everything all matching, so I like yours having different elements to anchor it. I think it looks fabulous. Hugs, Marty
Hi Linda! I like all three mantels! However, at my house everything winds up being symmetrical! Not sure why...bugs me any other way! My eyes just rest on symmetry and go...ahhhh! A demain...beaucoup de petits trésors et pas d'accidents pour nous...d'accord?...Debbie
All of these are beautiful. Your daughter is very talented! I love asymmetrical design, but I have a hard time pulling it off and usually end up using more symmetry. I really like the wreaths, a nice unexpected element that works really well. Hope you are having a great New Year! Kat
I have a time with my mantel too. In fact I keep messing with it and tweaking it and have a project to work in to finish it I hope. I like what ever looks best.
I absolutely adore all three mantels so I don't know where that puts me! I do know that I am at a loss with mine now that the Christmas theme is coming off. I do like the wreath idea and am staring at my fireplace right now!!
XO,
Jane
I think I end up with more asymmetrical ones. Though I like the pictures of all of the ones you showed!!
I tend to go asymmetrical with my mantels.
I love the look of these mantels and the symmetrical look. Beautiful!
When I try to make mine symetrical, I can never get it to work!
I also vote for the asymmetrical mantels. But I love that idea of a wreath! I'm going to try that. I also love lights on the mantel. Either a small lamp or a string of small white lights.
I am definitely asymmetrical. Maybe you could put the wreath in front of the mirror to one side of it. I have a fireplace but no mantle....maybe in my next house. :) Loved all your mantles!
No matter how you design the decor on the mantel, I just love both!
I'm in the process, my brain at least, of building my own mantel. My Amish fireplace came today and now to build the surround.. You gave me some good ideas!
Love it!
Sandy
Hi there~ I actually am a symmetry girl- I love it. I can do things off balance a bit, but it's not my preference- Love the looks of your mantle and your daughters- they are all beautiful and am loving that wreath hanging on the mantle front! Thank you for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)
Linda, each one looks lovely. I need to get more creative with my mantel. I put it back just as it was before the holidays. ;-)
I'm more a symmetrical kind of gal. ~ Sarah
Your daughter is a great decorator both of those mantles look wonderful! I love yours too. I think decking a mantle is hard. I never feel I get it right! I do like the use of those little wreaths!
Thanks for popping in to see me.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)
No snow here yet. Still waiting. You must live close to my daughter. She is in Lilburn on Five Forks Trickum road which is very close to Stone Mtn.
Hi Linda, what pretty mantlescapes! I love the changing seasons. Mantles are always a challenge, for sure. You've done a great job, xoxo tami
Asymmetrical with uneven numbers of items -like 3 or 5?
I vote for having your daughter come over and do it for you!!! I don't have a fireplace but would love one, yours is gorgeous! I would have to go symmetrical just because I'm not talented enough to do otherwise!!!
Popped over from NTT:)
Your daughter did a great job on both mantels. I love the mirror on your. Our mantel is not very wide and it is impossible to layer things.
Hugs,
Sherry
What beautiful mantels!!! Every one warm and inviting. So pretty.
Cindy
Very nice! I love to re-do my mantle with the seasons. Never thought to hang a wreath from the mantle though! I often hang one above (just took down my Christmas wreath from up there!). Thanks for the ideas!
I love all the looks but the wreath in the center really appeals to me. Great decor.
Love it! Especially those sconces!
It's so funny I found this today...We've recently bought a new house and I've been struggling with what to do with my mantel...I would never have thought to hang a wreath below the mantel....I like the look...and the painting is gorgeous.....pure talent!
I tend to go for the symmetry, usually, but every now and then I love the asymmetrical. I like all of these ~ maybe the first is my favorite?? I'm not sure...they really all look great.
Have a great day.
Sue
Linda, thanks so much for joining the party this week.
Your daughter took after your decorating talent. The mantels look pretty. I tend to do mine as symmetrically as possible. Although I do not mind assymetrical, it just ends up that way cause I can never make it look good when it is not balanced....Christine
Post a Comment