Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Thifty Bath re-do

Hello and welcome to another Thrifty/ Met Monday. Thanks to Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) and Rhoda (Southern Hospitality), we get to see, share, and steal copy lots of fabulous ideas from these two wonderful ladies, as well as so, so many other creative bloggers out there.


I'm going to share our hall bathroom (used to be the kids' bathroom) makeover that happened BEFORE I was smart enough to take before pictures we had a digital camera.

This was a standard 70's bathroom with flat cabinets doors and panels, a plate mirror and no medicine chest/cabinet....just the basics.

First, I must tell you that my hubby has a crush on BB, yes, he likes her a lot. In fact, she appears at our back door entry, kitchen backsplash, "keeping room", and even showed up in this room. Her first name is Bead and her second name if Board. I'm telling you, if I were to stand still long enough, I might get beadboard attached to my head! Anyway, he attached beadboard and a nice little ledge to the long wall.
We painted the bathroom a green (B.Moore) color, changed out all the fixtures for shiney chrome, and Hubby built a frame for the large mirror (which we wanted to keep because the bathroom is small).
He "Shakerized" (I invented that word) the cabinet doors and panel above the doors by attaching a flat trim all around them.


Then he built this wonderful shelf that is shown in the next 3 photos...#1.....

#2.....

#3 (oops, the towels are not folded exactly the same....I am NOT going to redo this pic!)

Now for the thrifty part.....I had this (free) floral fabric left over from window treatments I made for my daughter's dining room. There was not enough fabric for the full length of the shower curtain, so.......



I added this black and cream check to the floral.....

and then I hot-glued this braid to cover the seam. Worked like a charm and has stayed stuck through lots of steam!

I was about to throw out/donate this basket, but found this cute trim with black & white checked flowers and green ribbon and hot-glued it to the basket to hold hand towels.


Another thrifty find...this cute little chippy 2 drawer thingey....it gives some definition and separation to the 2 sinks. It smells good, too, because I have stored lots of little soaps (that we pick up during our travels) in the drawers.




Oh, hubby built a matching set of medicine cabinets with louvered doors for storage.


Hope you have enjoyed this little tour of the upstairs hall bath. Sorry I don't have a picture of the whole room, but it's long and narrow - 70's style. Now, I'm going to let you in on a little secret.....there is a reason that the light fixture is not showing......it's the Hollywood bulbs! Argh! Well, they had only been installed a couple of years before we did everything else, so we'll get around to it. Oh, another little secret....while I LOVE this bathroom, I must confess that all the blue bathrooms are really grabbing my attention! Stop the madness!

Don't forget to stop by Rhoda's and Susan's and have a Happy Monday! Linda

55 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I so love your bathroom. I love the beadboard. It just makes the room along with all the wonderful trim on the cabinets and the shelves. Such a pretty bathroom. Love it all. Hugs, Marty

Marie said...

I really enjoyed the tour. It looks wonderful! Can you believe that our whole "old house" was bead board and over the years we have covered it up. I saw a kitchen ceiling done last night on HGTV with the bead board and it makes me want to do ours that way again.

southerninspiration said...

Oh, I wish my hubby had the same kind of love affair with bead board.....we could do so much together, the three of us!! :)

It's beautiful!! Love your shower curtain idea, too!

Suzanne

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Quelle jolie salle de bains, Linda! J'adore les couleurs! Et je crois que le rideau est plus jolie comme ça, avec le mélange de tissus! Tu as bien fait avec le petit panier. Et, comme toujours, M. B est très doué! Bonne semaine!...Debbie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty redo on the bath. You did great on the shower curtain.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

WOW! I know all about 70s bathrooms...we have two of them. ;) I love the color you chose--it really pops against the white. Beautiful!! Visiting from Rhoda's party. :) (PS. Thanks for being real and not refolding your towels) :)

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Very pretty - I'm not even sure what decade my bathroom is stuck in but I'd venture to say 70's also.

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

You and your hubby did such a great job! Love it! I adore bead board and I love that shade of green. It looks exactly like the color I used in my kitchen (B.Moore Pear green or something like that). Your whole bathroom re-do looks great!

Manuela

PAT said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Great job!

Marianne said...

Your bathroom looks very nice! And you sure do have one handy husband at home.
And be glas BB is BeadBoard and not Brigitt Bardot because in her glory days that was her nickname over here. Imagine encountering her image everywhere in your house ;-)

Sue said...

This bathroom re-do turned out fantastic and Mr.Nest's fascination with BB has paid off well! Love the green walls; your shelf and the small cabinet on the counter are precious. And your solution for the shower curtain is a great mixing of fabrics. I can't believe you hot-glued the trim and it has stayed on in a humid bathroom! LOL
:-) Sue

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OMG Linda!
This turned out fabulous! What a great job hubby did with the bead board and the shaker panels. I wouldn't change a thing, love the look. Your shower curtain looks custom made and super expensive and I love all your thrifty pretty touches! Thanks for sharing, I'll show hubby, he redid his parents this summer with bead board and it's such a wonderful look! Hugs, Cindy

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Linda,
I love BB, also...and yours looks great! Love what you did with the showers curtain...so much more interesting and really more beautiful with the mix of fabrics. Isn't it amazing what we can do with our glue guns...how did we ever get along without them?! Beautiful bathroom makeover! Thanks so much for sharing it for Met Monday! Susan

Sharlotte said...

Linda,
I love, love, love your bathroom! The colors are so fresh and cool. And what a handy guy your husband is! All the transformation are amazing! Great job!!!

anythinggoeshere said...

Very pretty. What a wonderful redo!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Linda! Your bathroom is beautiful! Now you do have one talented hubby! I love bead board too and it's wonderful in here!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

MindyMac said...

Do you know that I have always thought that little basket was so cute, and I never realized you hot glued that trim on? I thought you bought it that way! That bathroom has come a looooooooonnngggg way!

Unknown said...

Pretty bathroom! I love the beadboard! Your showercurtain is lovely, great mix of fabrics! The basket is darling! Beatufiul job!

Tina

Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State said...

That looks gorgeous! Love the green!

Anonymous said...

Linda the bathroom looks great. You have everything arranged so nicely and the color choice was perfect.

Beth said...

Pretty bathroom! Nothing in there says 70's now :)

SouthernGal said...

Very nice! I love the BB and the color is wonderful!

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

Shirley said...

Wow, where do I start. I love bead board too. I think it is going to show up in my new kitchen somehow. This whole post is great. Can't believe your husband does all that!! Do you rent him out?? I never had one like that. I like the shower curtain better with the check on the bottom; looks very expensive and hand made for you, Oh, and the little basket . . . such good ideas!!! Go girl!!
Shirley

Pam @ This Humble House said...

I love how it all turned out! How wonderful to have a handy husband! I really like how he put the shelfy trim on top of the bead board! Looks great!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful bathroom. I am loving the shower curtain. Especially since it was handmade and such a creative idea!

Kate said...

I'm in love with your beadboard too! Your bathroom is fabulous! Great job!

Kate said...

I'm in love with your beadboard too! Your bathroom is fabulous! Great job!

deb said...

I just made over my hall bathroom. I'm sooo jealous!! I love beadboard, would have loved to put soem in mine too. you are lucky to have a hubby that is so talented...great shelf! Beautiful bathroom, just beautiful!

From the Old InkWell said...

Love it - bb, green paint, shower curtain. Looks wonderful!

The Tattered Cottage said...

Simply gorgeous love the beadboard and the shade of green on the walls!! Great finish to the shower curtain also :)
Toni

Terry said...

Your beadboard buy rock. And I love your alliteration: "...stayed stuck through lots of steam." Thanks so much.

arkie said...

Loved the bathroom! Good job on the shower curtain!

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

I really love the colors and the new bb in your bathroom. It looks wonderful!! I am so ready for my downstair bathroom to get a makeover! I think you have given me the color inspiration I have been looking for!! Great job! Hugs!

Kitty Scraps said...

What a great redo! I love your wall color too and your fabric shower curtain be still my heart! Great job! It's so pretty now *smiles*

Its So Very Cheri said...

Love your bathroom. the shower curtain looks so good too.

Cheri

trish said...

I just adore your bathroom! :o)

Melissa Miller said...

Linda your bathroom is GORGEOUS! Love the beautiful details in the shower curtain and the entire room. ~Lovely job! :)

ImagineCozy said...

My favorite part has to be the shower curtain. I love that you used two different fabrics. It ties in so well with the rest of the bathroom. It is a cozy little spot!

Nice job,,
Angela

Unknown said...

Ok, your little shelf is the second one I've seen today! Must go home and build one for the girl's tiny bathroom -- they need all the storage they can get!

Alicia said...

How lucky you are to have such a handy husband and he such a practicial and imaginative wife. Bathroom looks beautiful. I especially love the basket with the hand towels. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for something like that.

Please stop by and have a looksee at my thrifty treasures.

Terry said...

Howdy
Oh how fabulous it all turned out.
Thank you for sharing all the awesome photos.
Blessings to you and yours.
Hugs
Happy Trails

Bill said...

Hi Linda,
Wonderful makeover! You and your husband are definitely a talented team!

Georgia Girl said...

Love your bathroom! I am so loving the beadboard and want to add some to my house now.

Cute shower cutain!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I really like that frame he built around the mirror. We had our big mirrors taken out for two oval mirrors, but if I'd thought of this first, I might have done it. Nice to have a hubby who knows his way around with tools. You have a lovely new bathroom!
Brenda

joyh82 said...

Oh wow, that turned out just awesome. I love bead board too.
I love the paint color you used as well.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Linda your bathroom is just AWESOME my friend...I loved everything you did here...the shower curtain is WOW!! and what home can be without a glue gun..."Have Gun Will Travel" May you have a GREAT weekend my friend...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Charlotte said...

Hi Linda. what a great re-do especially the shower curtain you made...I make all my own shower curtains usually from either a twin size sheet or twin quilt....perfect size...but i love how you made do with thefabric you had at hand...it looks terrific...and you also invented a few new words and catch phrases for the English language....Good Job!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Thanks for coming by. I hope you come back and I look forwarf to getting to know you/
Cheri

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Thanks for coming by and wishing me a happy birthday Linda! HAGW down there in Georgia! Hugs, Cindy

Signing Out said...

Your bathroom is just gorgeous! I am a big fan of beadboard, and I love the chair rail with the ledge. The green wall color is so relaxing, and the black accents are perfect for the room. That shower curtain is beautiful! Fantastic job!

Jane

The Old Painted Cottage said...

Hi Linda,

Just read your comment {thank you} and wanted to let you know I'll be doing future blog posts on ALL said projects, so stay tuned...

oxox
Jennifer

Barb said...

Hi Linda, you are all linked for the Rooster Party. See you on Friday. So glad to have you join us!

Barb :-)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

That shower curtain is absolutely wonderful! Love the mix of fabrics. Your bathroom color is so pretty, and so are all your extra little touches. They add up to a beauiful room. laurie

Its So Very Cheri said...

In my follower section you have a silhouette but you do have a link-your name just says Linda but the link takes you to the blog.
Cheri

Unknown said...

love the shower curtain. love that fabric.