Saturday, March 5, 2011

French Fabric Address & Chair

I had so many inquiries on my French Document Fabric last week!
I bought the fabric at a local store,
so I am going to give you the web site,
and hopefully, they would take a mail order.
There are actually 2 stores that carry it:
Frugal Fabric (the Buford store)
and
Just click on the sites and you can get their phone numbers.

Last week I showed a thrifty Frenchy chair.....

First I primed it and then painted it with
Blossom White

Next, I distressed it and used some Valspar Asphaltum glaze.
Unfortunately, Mr. NN is NOT into the
distressed look.
I mean, really!
He just doesn't hang out in blogland!
So I spray painted over a few places that I had distressed,
plus, I wasn't too crazy about the Asphaltum glaze.
Next I used some dark walnut stain in the design......


I rubbed a little more of the stain on the chair.
That's the antiquing technique we used back in the 70's
when there was no such thing as glaze.
Hmmmmmmm.....
not sure if I like it
or
if I might prefer just a fresh coat of white
or
maybe
Heirloom White OR Ivory
What do you think?
I'm not sure......
Maybe I ought to put the fabric on the seat....
to be continued......

I've had this cute, big metal basket
that I got from a "going out of business" sale for $5.


I painted it white

and filled it with books (that had been given the old

"tear off the cover and tie up with twine" treatment.






That's it for today.
Stay tuned....the chair WILL get finished....
when I make up my mind!
I'm joining:
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow us Wednesday
Blessings to you!!
Linda

17 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I'm a big fan of the Heirloom White, Linda, so I'd say either that or a fresh White if you are not feeling the glaze. I just did a shelf project using Heirloom White and have been looking at it and thinking that it really is a nice creamy color. Perfect for me because I don't usually go with a bright white. Looking forward to seeing the seat! What a great basket, too. The white really freshened it up and what a functional piece!

Blondie's Journal said...

I really like the chair as is, but it would be interesting to do it in Heirloom White. I have been curious to try it on a piece of furniture myself. I'm anxious to see what you do!

XO,
Jane

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Linda! Can't wait to see what you do with the chair, although it looks very Gustavian as is! Love the basket with the books! I think it has found its calling! A lundi!...hugs..Debbie

Kat said...

I've got a desk and some bookshelves that I've been wanting to paint Heirloom white. Just haven't gathered up the courage yet. I love that chair, it's really similar to what I've been looking for to put in the guest room/writing den. Can't wait to see the finished project. Kat

Cheryl said...

Hi Linda,
Looking forward to see the finishing touch on the white chair.
THank you! Thank you! for the links to the fabric...can't wait to order it!
Going to cover everything with it..lol!!
Ok..maybe just a bench or two..lol!!
Thank you again!!
xoxoxo
Cheryl;-)

Sherry Hicks said...

I actually love the chair just the way that it is, but you have to do what makes you love it.
Sherry

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Heirloom white is a pretty color...you might like glazing it with some mocha glaze from Valspar...I have been using it and love how it looks. Cute little basket.

Blessings,
Linda

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

It's looks great so far!

Kammy said...

Hi,
Love that chair, it has great bones ! I am an ivory girl, although white has been calling
my name lately !
Good job !
Hugs and have a great week,
Kammy

Decor To Adore said...

What a great metamorphosis! Well done.

I am having a hilarious Linky party with prizes this Wednesday. Details are on my blog today.
I hope you'll join in on the fun.

DIYbyDesign said...

I'm a big fan of heirloom white. It makes everything look better. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the Mister. Too much distressing is distracting. That's all you see when you look at the piece. I'll be glad when it runs its course as all things do with time. It looks pretty now but the white would be great also.

Pam Kessler said...

I did a console table in heirloom white and thought it was too bright of a white. I know other people swear by it, but it was pretty white. I ended up putting a stain over it to tone it down a little (like your 70's stain technique). When I can't decide on a color I just live with it as is for a few days to see where it leads me.

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

You just described the reason I never get around to painting anything. The color and treatment decision. I'm incapable of making one. But I'm sure whatever you decide will be perfect!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

It is fabulous and I love the basket change, too. Thanks for joining WUW this week.

PAT said...

The chair is beautiful, Linda! I like the basket change also.

Erin said...

Beautiful chair! I found your blog at Between Naps on the Front Porch. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)