Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lots of Re-Dos/or a Painting Maniac!

Paint, paint, paint.....I have seen so much paint in blogland that we have been inspired to do a good bit of painting here at home. I have an update on last week's office redo, as well as some chairs and a lamp, and - as always - some bargains!

Now, if you prefer the red office/bedroom, it's okay - I can take it - but I'll tell you, it is so refreshing to walk into the "Antique White" room. We hadn't had a chance to redo pictures before the last post, but now we have.
Here is the re-do - ta da! (Hmmm, er, well, I should say it is the re-do of the re-do. Let me explain....our daughter came over and didn't like the arrangement of black and whites that we had done, so we said , "Have at it!", and she did! Hubby did slip the vase of flowers in (accidentally) while attaching his phone recharger on another table, and, well, there they are!
Not sure if Daughter will let them stay : )

The thrift store globe works well there....it is old and pretty....we know it's old because it has the "USSR", not Russia, etc!


Not sure if I like the corner cabinet doors closed......


or open.....still looking.....


Found a neutral pair of GW drapes that work perfectly on an iron rod (40% off at Joanne's).


I'll have to add some contrasting fabric on the bottom....no problem.

My daughter has been encouraging me to paint my dining room chairs (which we've had for 30+ years and I'm not crazy about) a creamy color for several weeks. I've been complaining that our dining room is dark. So after a recent flea market trip with Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict during which she bought a fantastic (somewhat similar) chair painted a light color, I decided that I would take the plunge....paint 6 chairs "Heirloom White". Er, well, it went like this:

Me - I really want to paint the dining room chairs a creamy white...do you agree?
Hubby - Yes, but they really need to have a good paint job.
Me - Yes, I know.
Hubby - You know I would do a better job.
Me - Yes, that's right. So would you paint them now?
Hubby - OK.
Me - Yippee!

As it turned out, Daughter came by and ended up painting with Hubby and I just got to play with the grandies - what a deal!

I don't know why I loved this fabric, but once upon a time, I did!

Here's the chair after the paint job and removal of the red check and blue & cream....down to our original fabric from 1970!


After Hubby & D's perfectionistic job, the chair has so many fabric possibilities.....A blue zebra print (only thing is, the dining room is a grayish green - Fenwood by SW - or is it Duron?)


Daughter loves the toile look with a red background like this napkin:

This is a pretty blue, green & gold....Hubby is afraid it will look dated.....

Hubby really likes this neutral French design with black writing on a tan background. The "jury is still out" on the fabric.....whether to be dramatic or neutral....hmmmmm. Anyway, I am LOVING the creamy white....freshness....even took the red oriental rug out of the dining room and put it in the office. (Fabric came from a tiny shop with TONS of fabric $4 a yard! I saw it at HobLob recently for $25 a yard!)


My MIL had this brass lamp...shiney and dated....with a weird shade.

A couple of coats of Heirloom White later and.....voilĂ !

This shade doesn't work because I put a harp back in the lamp, but I am thinking of a burlap shade. PBarn has a gorgeous burlap shade, but at $39 for the shade, that is too much for me. I'll keep looking or even try to make one. Anyone had any luck making a burlap shade?


You better leave this site now or you might get spray painted!

I am joining these parties:
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday
Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Today's Thrifty Treasures
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Marian at Miss Mustard Seed for Furniture Feature Friday

Hope your week is wonderful and cooler! Linda (p.s. I CANNOT WAIT to show you my daughter's recent re-do of her kitchen - from gorgeous green to beautiful blue gray with black and white accents - all done on an incredibly tiny budget...fantastic! It'll be my next post - hopefully : )

27 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oooooh! I love the chairs, Linda! And you know me...I vote for the frenchy fabric! Are we chair maniacs or what? Slap me if I buy another one! lol I love Mr. Nest's office...looking so good! I think I like the doors open! Great looking lamp, too! Have a wonderful evening! A demain!...hugs...Debbie

MindyMac said...

I still love that red background fabric...so bright and pretty! Those chairs look a MILLION times better! You should have shown a picture of the original fabric that was on them....I kind of liked it! LOVE the zebra! Too bad it doesn't match!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! I'm loving this room and I too love the light color now! Yep, we've both gotten tired of the red, haven't we? The pictures look so nice in the grouping. Your chairs are just so beautiful and I believe I'd have a hard time deciding which fabric I liked best! I think I like them all! :)
Thanks for popping in to see my kitchen!
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Laura @ The Shabby Rabbit said...

Great chairs! I think I"m a fan of all but the zebra print. But I especially like the natural with black writing!! That's a great look!

Salmagundi said...

I never get tired of seeing that beautiful red rug, no matter where it lives in your house. I vote for the Frenchy fabric on the chairs -- or the red fabric -- I can't decide! I know you will make the right decision. Sally

Susan McClaskey said...

I love red rooms, but I have to say I'm really liking your new antique white bedroom/office. It looks so clean and cool. Also, love the repainted chairs--what a difference! Aren't you a smart cookie to get them painted by "someone" else. I vote for the zebra print or the script. Love both of those!
Susan

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love the frenchy fabric. It is fabulous and so is the zebra fabric. Both would work for me. Love the new picture arrangement and the doors open looks wonderful too. Boy, have you been busy. Love the changes. Isn't it fun. Hugs, Marty

One Cheap B*tch said...

Hands down I love the French script print! Love it, love it, love it!

Jeanine

Kat said...

The chairs look fantastic! I love the French script fabric, absolutely my favorite. Although the red toile type fabric is pretty too. And I can't wait to see your daughter's kitchen makeover, it sounds beautiful.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Where do I start? The office looks FAB! I love the white much better. The red was nice but looked dated to me. I like the cabinet doors open better. And the chairs are so pretty painted white. I like all of the fabric choices. That helps right? haha I think the zebra fabric would go just fine in your dining room. And well done painting the lamp! Everything is great.

Unknown said...

RED fabric,Nina, 2d choice french inspired fabric ...

Golly what a GORGEOUS redo in the office ... I lov the vase right where it is, I LOVE everything right where it is, don't touchy ... looks grrrrr-8!

You are truly going to town on the re-dos's ... I am getting ready to tear into the house we settle on today, can hardly wait ... it is a rental tho.

Great job! Just Beautiful, Nina.

Have a wonderful summer week ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Like Wow Linda!
I love the black and white pics, they just pop and look awesome!
And the chair re-do is wonderful, I loved the check fabric on the before but I love all the new ones too!
This was a really fun read, thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Cindy

The Decorative Dreamer said...

Great redo on the chairs. I like all the fabrics you've shown, so no help from me. Sorry! Take your time and let the whiteness of the new chairs settle in and it will come to you! Beautiful job!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oooooh, love the chairs in white! I love something different and surprising ~ the zebra or the script fabric. You could have an alternate out of one of the others. Maybe make them something that slips right over the seat and ties on the back.

Marigene said...

Your chairs came out fantastic, Linda...the fabric is great for that style chair.

From the Old InkWell said...

Love your chairs! I love all those fabrics with the letters - really chic!

Pam Kessler said...

Great job on the chairs and greater job on getting hubby to volunteer to do them. I sort of like the frenchy fabric with words on it. The nice thing about chair seats is you can recover them again if you grow tired of the look and it won't cost you a fortune. BTW, I saw a lamp at Hobby Lobby that had a shade on it with that frenchy word fabric on it and it was very cute.

Melissa Miller said...

How beautiful Linda! I adore the zebra and all of the rest. Gorgeous redo!

René said...

The fabric options all look so good it would be tough to pick one. Pretty chairs.

-Rene

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

The chairs look great painted white. I love the script fabric but also the zebra! Hard choice.

Heaven's Walk said...

Hi Linda! Happy Met Monday to you! I am just LOVING your white room! What a huge difference it has made! And my vote for your chair fabric is definitely the French script. It looks fresh and clean and airy!

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

Get Nestled In said...

LOVE the french script print on the chair. Sooo so pretty! Love your style, love your blog! So glad I stopped by from Southern Hospitality! :)

T.bird

deb said...

I love the one with the writing!
*hugs*deb

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Great job on the chairs. I love the Frenchy fabric and the red is nice too.
It doesn't get any better than playing with the grand babies while the work is being done.... but that's what grand mommas are for,right?
I think a burlap shade would be perfect on the lamp!

Marlis said...

Your daughter has quite the knack for arranging pictures. Love the chairs. And here's the point with fabric.. it can be changed.. go with what you like and don't worry about being dated.. I tend to stick with more neutrals so that it doesn't clash with the dishes!

Unknown said...

Wow- great looking rooms! I love the fabric with the writing too. Also, I did like the red room, but I know from first hand experience that strong colors make for great photos of empty rooms, but can be difficult to live in. I love the antique white. Would you mind telling me the color?

KimMalk said...

Your new white room looks great. I love the changes your daughter made. About your newly painted white chairs--they look wonderful. I vote for the zebra print ;).