Friday, December 16, 2011

An Antique Box Centerpiece Knock-Off & a Christmas Tradition

I've seen a couple of charming old boxes
(tool boxes?) used as centerpieces lately.
Sooooooo, I asked Mr. Nest if he could make me one.
He had some wood scraps left from a closet re-do,
so the project was free!
My sis-in-law and I had fun filling it with fresh cuttings from the Christmas tree,
nandina branches and berries from the yard,
amd those wonderful battery candles!
It's sitting on my runner made from tea toweling.


I wasn't sure what size the box should be.
We settled on 28 linches long (so that people can sit at the end
of the table, too, and 7 1/2 inches high (8 inches wide?)
Actually, 6 inches high might have been  a better choice,
but it's growing on me.
As long as you have enough spilling out, it looks great.


Love the way he made faux pegs on the corners.
That guy is good!!!!



Also, we have a family tradition for our stocking.
My mother made one for my sister and one for me
about 50 years ago!
I made one for my boyfriend (now hubby).
Then later for our children,
and eventually for our SIL and DIL.


I was so thrilled that our Daughter-in-law and our Daughter each wanted one for their family members.
You gotta love the PEACE stocking hangers for the family of 6 at DIL's home.
Hilarious!
(One of our little cutie-pies is in the left corner!)


Daughter has four hanging at her home.


Hope your days are calming down
as we draw close to Christmas.
Peace and Blessings,
Linda

Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday
Debbiedoos for Copy Cat
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Mantel Link Party
Southern Hospitality for Mantel Party
A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
No Minimalist Here for Open House Party
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday

16 comments:

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Your box, and arrangement in it are beautiful!! I love the faux pegs too! Will he share his little secret to making them? Hubby has made me a few boxes,and I also found a really, really old tool caddy this week for $10.00! I love your stocking tradition!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

I love the box hubby made you, he sure paid attention to detail. It's full to over flowing with Christmas. Love the vintage stockings, they are true treasures. Happy Holiday!
hugs ~lynne~

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love your decorated toolbox, Linda! I found a wooden tote at an antique mart that I just love and have used the same way for Christmas. Your stockings are adorable; I think it's sweet that they are a family tradition.

Sarah said...

Linda, it's fun to see your family stockings. Stockings are one of my favorite holiday traditions. ~ Sarah

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Linda I love the box your hubby made and you filled it beautifully! Love the stocking too what a nice tradition!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Beautiful centerpiece!!! I love all your stockings all lined up in a row...and ready to be filled to the brim!!!

Pam Kessler said...

Nina, your stockings are so fun. My husband's Grandmother made one for him when he was a baby and it is similar in style. When I get time I may try to make one for my son so they can have matching ones. I love your centerpiece too. Very festive.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Linda, your box is fabulous! I love it! You and your sil did a wonderful job of filling it, too! And of course, I love the tradition of the stockings....real treasures! Have a wonderful weekend! A lundi...Debbie

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, your box is really sweet and the house is just beautiful! What a great place to share the holiday's with loved ones.
Mary

Allison Shops said...

Love your centerpiece. I wish my cats would real greenery alone! Dropping by from BNOTP. Happy holidays.

Allison
Atticmag

Mary Ann said...

I am so glad I saw this post! I bought an antique toolbox, and did not get it decorated in time for our party last weekend. I'll do it next year, yours is beautiful!

Susan said...

What a beautiful center piece. Your tool box will be a versatile piece for you. You can change it out for the seasons and different holidays. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I love how you've decked out your tool box and made this gorgeous centerpiece! Love your mantel too!
You've been a busy gal!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I love the way you have decorated your tool box. You will have fun decorating it for all seasons and holidays.
I'm visiting from Tabletop Tuesday.
Barb

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

Your box centerpiece is beautiful! The greenery just flows together. You did a great job of layering and creating texture! Very impressive.

Sharon

Becca Bertotti said...

It looks beautiful ... love the addition of the candles, too! I have one that I added Christmas greenery to, as well. Happy Holidays!