Sunday, January 17, 2010

Diary of an Estate Sale or Parting with Memories

This is my Diary of an Estate Sale - or Parting with Memories. I am linking up to Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for a little makeover on my French vaisselier, as well as some changes to our household, and a little silver something for Silver Sunday, hosted by Beth at The Gypsy Fish. Thanks so much for hosting these parties, ladies!



First, what is this? It came with my mother's silver tea set - which includes a creamer and sugar bowl with lid. Does this go under the coffee urn to catch the drips? Or is it for sugar cubes? Right now, it's holding candles!


My vaisselier took on an after-Christmas change. First, it was angled in the corner, and it displayed my dishes from my favorite aunt!


We moved it flat against the wall, centered it, and changed out to all white/cream dishes.

We have spent the last two days having an sale for my mother-in-law's estate. Fortunately, she is still with us, but has moved from her home to assisted living at the age of 91!
How do you do such a thing? We were fortunate to have friends in the business who came in, set up 20 tables, priced everything, and gave us advice. They even wrote the article for the newspaper and for Craig's List for us! They gave us a "friends and family" rate, and we absolutely could not have done it without them! I am going to share a few tidbits on Estate Sales in a future post.

How do you part with memories associated with things? It's difficult. I realize that it's not the love of the things, but the love of the memories that the things evoke. For example, her Blue Danube dishes here - we ate off them for years! Our nephew took all the place settings because he couldn't stand the thought of someone else eating off Grandma's dishes!
Look at the salt box (with the wooden lid). Isn't that cute! We sold all the BD pieces without one quibble on the price.
I did keep this little casserole dish for memories. I think it is so unusual. They don't make things like this any more.
My mother-in-law gave me this bowl - just an old bowl, but she bought it from an 83 year old lady in 1936. I have always loved this bowl. I believe every meal we ate at their house had Grandma's green beans in this bowl. My kids, to this day, are green bean-a-holics!

My grown kids love "the gold spoon". They would love to put sugar on their cereal at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Because, you know, their mean mom (me) made them eat their Cheerios plain! Believe me, there would be a layer of sugar about 1/4 inch deep in bottom of their bowls at G & G's house, and they would drink it down! Gag!


We love this old clock. It belonged to my mother-in-law's grandmother, where it was kept in her kitchen.



My in-laws had a den with a nautical theme, so my hubby was so glad to get all the ships. See the little one on the bottom shelf on the right?



This little side table was in her living room where it was filled with pictures of the great grands.



I have always LOVED these two small paintings and will be thrilled to hang them. My MIL painted them both and they are so sweet.





This is one of hubby & my favorite paintings that his mom did. Love the sweet old church (I'm using the word "sweet" a lot, but to me, it means "aw, I love it, brings back memories". She had written our names on the back 'cause she knew it meant so much to us!


We have many more treasures and haven't had time to incorporate them into our house yet, but so many things went out the door at the estate sale...things that we would have loved to have kept.....things that evoked sweet memories....but you can't keep everything.
We tell ourselves that my MIL is thrilled that so many people liked her things enough to pick them out, buy them, and use them or display them in their homes.
Nonetheless, I found myself on many items (since I was the cashier) telling the buyer the story...."oh, that coffee grnder belonged to my sister-in-law - it was a wedding gift to her 50 years ago, and she gave it to her mom when she changed her kitchen color, because her mom had a blue and white kitchen." or "Oh, that is really old. It was 50 years old in 1982 when so-and-so gave it to her." or "Oh, we used to cater weddings and that punch bowl has been all over Atlanta into some of the nicest country clubs and most beautiful churches." "And, my goodness, that lawn jockey was bought in Kentucky, moved to Atlanta to 2 different houses. Isn't that cool that you are an antique dealer down here from Kentucky - it's going back home!" I probably should have been more neutral, but I just couldn't help myself!
One funny story, a man and his wife came in spur of the moment on their way to the mountains, looked around, and she spotted a mink stole and a little fur collar. She hemmed and hawed, but he said he had the money, and said this is probably your only chance to get a fur stole. He told her he knew if she didn't get it that they would be half way down the road and she would say, "Oh, we need to go back". Well, they bought it. About 10 minutes later, he walked in the door and said, "You know that crazy woman?" What? He said, "We got down the road and she regretted not getting the mink collar, too" (Which I had decided I wanted by that time!). So he bought it! (Why didn't he make her come in! Was she embarrassed? hee hee hee). Now that's true love!
One very sweet story. A lady had bought several items, including 3 old hankies, one of which was monogrammed with an "A" for my MIL. I said, "Aw, that is sweet. I wish I had seen that." She offered not to buy it, but I said no, of course not, take it. As she walked out the door, she handed it back to me and said, "Merry Christmas" (she had paid for it!). How sweet was that?!!!! I told her that I thought someone would do something very special for her, and I believe Someone will.
We had two wonderful, but exhausting days, meeting all kinds of interesting, friendly, and kind people. I'll bet they are a lot like so many of you I have met in blogland! May God bless! Linda

32 comments:

Jojo said...

Oh what an experience. Sometimes just replaying the past in my head wears me out - I can't imagine cleaning out family's homes along with it.

The story about the hankie is the sweetest!

Unknown said...

The little two-handled bowl that looks like a sugar bowl without a lid is a waste bowl or a slop bowl and was part of 19th century tea sets. The dregs of the cup (loose tea) were poured in it, after one drank the cup of tea, before a second cup of tea was poured.

Your mother-in-law has wonderful family items to pass on to her family to cherish and remember her and other family members. But I understand, we can't keep it all. It will be very hard for me to do the same when my time comes, too.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

What a wonderful post, Linda! I know those lucky people loved hearing the history of your MIL's things and that will make them cherish them even more! I am sure this was hard, but you are right...you can't keep everything! And I had to laugh...I just bought the same rooster lamp (different shade) that you have pictured on your vaisselier in the second picture! Can you say two peas in a pod? lol Its base is pictured in my new post! Have a wonderful weekend and rest up!...hugs...Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! Oh, this was a bittersweet post! It's hard letting go sometimes but it's great to think your MIL was okay with her downsizing! What beautiful Blue Danube dishes and great a family member took so many of them.
I've enjoyed hearing of your buyers!
Love the little church painting too.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Anonymous said...

This is something i have never had to do, the emotions had to be running high, how sweet of the woman to give back the hanky, I love that! thanks for sharing, Sue

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Linda, what a wonderful post. I love all the stories, they are so interesting and so sweet and all of the pieces that you have shown are just stunning. It's hard to break up a home full of memories. I am so happy you have some of your favorites. Hugs, marty

Gypsy Fish said...

Sooo wonderful to read your post today...your silver sugar or something bowl looks perfectly chic holding candles.
thanks for coming!...See you next Sunday!
{{gypsy hugs}}
Beth

Gypsy Fish said...

Sooo wonderful to read your post today...your silver sugar or something bowl looks perfectly chic holding candles.
thanks for coming!...See you next Sunday!
{{gypsy hugs}}
Beth

xinex said...

Oh Linda, it must have been emotional but what a wonderful story. I would be choking all throughout. I don't think I would be able to stand that. Your MIL is an amazing artist....Christine

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Those are some beautiful things. I love family pieces that evoke a memory. Those blue & white dishes are right up my alley!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I was anxious to hear what the silver piece was for, and I see that someone knew. My friend has a piece just like it! Blogging is wonderful isn't it...we learn sooo much!

Blondie's Journal said...

This must have been a very emotional day for you, but having been to some estate sales, I know that it means so much to me to have pieces in my home that were loved by someone else.

Thanks for your question on the 'slop bowl' because I have one. I appreciated the gal that commented with an answer.

Great post, Linda!

xoxo
Jane

Carole said...

Happy to hear you were able to keep some pieces. I can understand your reluctance to see things go.

btw we have the same blog background!!!
xo,
Carole

MindyMac said...

Wow, those blue and white dishes bring back memories! I remember them in their little kitchen on Colebrook. I also remember they had little paper birds hanging in the window that Jamie had made. I lay claim to that gold spoon! I'm pretty sure I used it the most! How many pounds of milk saturated sugar did I eat??? Very bittersweet!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post. I remember when my granny's house was sold. The big old roll top desk that had been made from a piano was sold to a real estate broker. I so wanted that desk but I was only 13 and what I wanted didn't count. After I was married I called every real estate office in the area trying to locate that desk. Never found it. I'm glad your family members were able to keep what made their memories happy.
Nancy

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Linda,
This was so much fun to read and yet so bittersweet. What lovely things your MIL had but more important what lovely memories she made for her family. Priceless story! Hugs, Cindy

Sherrie said...

Everyone has shared beautiful stories. I enjoy the sharing of the beautiful stories. Thank you for sharing.

Sherrie said...

Everyone has shared beautiful stories. I enjoy the sharing of the beautiful stories. Thank you for sharing.

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Such a sweet post! You are so blessed to still have her with you and I know that the items you did part with, will be loved in their new home.

I have done this and know how difficult it can be...

Have a great week!

Lou Cinda :)

Kammy said...

So many fond memories...I am so glad that you have pictures to go with your stories, as they can be handed down...really neat post..
Kammy
p.s. I love your hutch with the ivory !

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It is so hard to decide what to do with your loved ones' belongings - especially when you know you can't/or don't want to keep everything.

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

What a sweet story you have shared with us. I could just read your emotion. My husband and I will soon have to deal with his dear Uncle
s estate. he is 96 and in very poor condition right now. He has sooo many treasures and collections it will take weeks to sort thru them all. It will be sad for us. I know this was hard for you, too. What lovelies she owns. Thanks for sharing this emotional part of your lifew ith us. Hugs, Barb

Lana Kim White Austin said...

This is a wonderful blog post. I love that you care so much about the history of these items. And I knwo you can't keep everything, but it seems you did hold on to some find things, like those beautiful paintings your MIL did. She will be in my prayers as she acclimates to her new place! Blessings, Lana

Kathysue said...

Linda, what sweet memories are attached to your MILs things. I am sure it was a hard day for you all. She really did have some treasures. Enjoyed seeing all of them in the pictures. Kathysue

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Good morning Linda...what wonderful things your MIL had and so many with all the memories attached...it so hard to do these sale and decide which stays and what can be sold...and oh the stories they could tell...I think thats why I love antiques as I always wonder about the person who owned it before me and the hands that held it...Thanks so much Linda for coming by and for this great post...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Angie Holden said...

You might make me cry. This day is coming all too soon here and I feel myself dreading it. I think of what I can realistically bring home and what will really have to be sold -- ugh -- it is so hard.

Kerrie said...

How beautiful everything is! The side table is reminiscent of my Dad's Bedside table/nightstand. Kerrie

Marigene said...

I love the little silver dish you have your candles in. Isn't it wonderful that your nephew bought the BD, not wanting a stranger to eat off his grandmother's dishes!
Thank you for sharing your memories of your mother-in-law.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Linda, you kept some wonderful items that have wonderful memories attached. (Love that painting of the church). That clock with the strawberries on it is so wonderful, and of course, more special because it belonged to your husband's great grandmother. Love your stories of the estate sale. Sounds like you had a very interesting sale, and how nice of the woman to give you the handkerchief. Now it holds another special memory. Beautiful post. laurie

Charlotte said...

Hi Linda...what a wonderful post about your MIL....she was a fabulous artist..Hope we'll be seeing you on the 5th. at Joyce's V-Day tea....Sue @ Rue Moffetard

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a beautiful post...your MIL has some wonderful pieces...thanks for sharing them with all of us. I'm having a great time reading your blog...so I'm going to be a new follower;)

Blessings,
Linda

Bearly Sane said...

What a lovely and interesting read this was. I bet those people who listened to your stories felt that they really got a bargain...the history attached to these items alone must have made them feel rewarded.
Hugs,
Sandi @ Bearly Sane