Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Nostalgia

Christmas brings out the nostalgia in everyone, doesn't it?! I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday, and Susan at Thoughts from Over the Rainbow for Deck the Halls.



But first let me show you a little Santa collection I have. They are all made of different materials and have different themes, but last year I was so glad to get the "builder" Santa in honor of my building Hubby.

Now I can really appreciate a beautifully decorated Christmas tree with a theme, but I've gotta tell you that our tree is a pot pourri of all sorts of ornaments....gifts from friends, ornaments collected during our children's childhoods, ornaments from special events we've attended, etc.

But today our tree metamorphed a little from yesterday! We have had to move my dear mother-in-law (91 years young!) to assisted living and the past week has been spent going through her things and divying them up among the family.


This red ball came from my MIL - see the string holding it? It is a VERY old ornament from Germany.

I bought over a dozen of these crocheted ornaments (made by little old ladies) from my children's preschool about 30 years ago.


First ornament I bought at the birth of our daughter in 1972.


Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict brought a half dozen of these little bears to me from a Christmas market in Strasbourg, France.


My MIL bought this little angel in Rothburg, Germany 30 years ago.


A VERY, VERY old ornament - probably 70 years old from MIL.


Another delicate ornament from MIL made in Germany.

This tacky red mouse has hung on our tree for 40 years! Not sure where it came from, but we would be sad if he got lost!


A very old flocked ornament (my favorite as a little girl) from the 50's.


Another 30 year old ornament from Rothberg, Germany.


The next ornament is not very pretty, and the colors are not very good for Christmas, but the story is great - it was made during World War II. All glass was being used for the war effort, so ornaments were made of plastic at that time. So this ornament represents that unique and special time of the "Greatest Generation". .....also from MIL.
Last, my precious Willow Tree nativity. I put it in front of this oil painting. To me, the landscape reminds me of what one would expect in the Holy Land. The painting was a yard sale find and the nativity a cherished gift from daughter.

But the event it represents is what Christmas is all about - the birth of Jesus - salvation for those who believe - hope for the world - a light in the darkness.


I wish you all a Merry Christmas and pray that you and your family will know God's true peace and joy now and in the New Year. Blessings, Linda

22 comments:

Gail said...

How beautiful all your ornaments are and I love the story behind all of them.

Have a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year.

Gail

PAT said...

Such a beautiful post, Linda! I love the ornaments and stories.

Merry Christmas!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Oh Linda...Your tree is so beautiful! Your MIL certainly has a great collection of ornaments! And I am so touched that you are hanging the ones that I brought you! I hope that your MIL is doing well and that life is calming down for you! I wish a very blessed and happy Christmas to you and your family!...hugs...Debbie

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I was really touched by this Linda! I love all the beautiful vintage ornies and what they represent! I love what Debbie brought you from France, how awesome! Merry Christmas to you and your family! Cindy

Blondie's Journal said...

Wonderful post, Linda. My tree holds all things different and unique and I could never part with anything, no matter how tacky! lol!!

You have a ton of unique ornaments and I loved hearing about your favorites. I hope that your MIL does well in her new surroundings. Have a wonderful and blessed Christmas!!

xoxo
Jane

MindyMac said...

Please make sure the really old and fragile ornaments are put somewhere else before Jack the Destroyer gets there!!!! I would just die if he broke one! I LOVE that dumb mouse!

dee dee said...

Linda,
I love your meaning ornaments. They just make the season sweeter! My mother has been to Rothberg and has brought me back some very pretty things! Thanks for sharing... Dee Dee

Patti @ Pandoras Box said...

Isn't it wonderful how each ornament has a special meaning...and we never seem to forget, do we? happy Holidays

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I enjoyed my tour, very nice!
~Michelle

SouthernGal said...

What a wonderful trip down memory land with your ornaments. Merry Christmas!

Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Linda, your Santa collection is so charming, and what wonderful ornaments. I love that so many of them hold special memories for you and your family. Have a wonderful Christmas! laurie

xinex said...

You have a wonderful Santa collection, Linda and I love your old vintage Christmas tree ornaments...Christine

Angie Holden said...

Thanks for sharing -- I love your ornaments!!

Sarah said...

Linda, I feel the same as you about a Christmas tree. The themed trees are lovely, but it's our ornaments gathered through the years that make a tree meaningful for me. Your tree is lovely! The ornaments from your MIL are indeed special. My niece has what is left of the glass ornaments that hung on my childhood family tree. I think it is wonderful that someone in the family is guardian of these treasures to be passed on through the generations.
Your Santa collection is lots of fun. I hope to show some of my Santa figures soon. Just finding the time to photograph and post during this busy time.
All the best to you and your family for happy holidays! ~ Sarah

Marigene said...

Lovely tree ornaments...but my favorite? the nativity in front of that picture...couldn't be more perfect.
Merry Christmas!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

I love the chrocheted snowflake. My mom made those when I was younger. I need to get her to make some for my tree. They look so pretty on a tree.

Maggie said...

Your treasured tree ornaments are lovely especially as each one has s tale to tell but your white Santa caught my eye straight away, how gorgeous is he?
I have a white Santa too and this year he has pride of place on my blog header pic.
Merry Christmas from normandy.
Maggie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Everything is so pretty. I really like the all white Santa. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kathleen said...

Love your tree..filled with so many memories..The Willow Nativity is beautiful.
Merry Christmas, Linda!

Kat said...

Just beautiful Linda! I love all of your ornaments and the sentiment behind each and every one. And the nativity set is lovely. I hope that you and your family have a joyous and blessed Christmas. Kathy

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love a tree that is filled with ornaments of memory -- so special -- your decorations are so sweet and I do remember Woolworths! Now so many of those five and dime treasures are showing up in antique shops --- at quite a price! Hope you had a wonderful blessed Christmas. Thanks for your recent visit -- trying to catch up after the whirlwind of those days leading up to Christmas.

~CC Catherine said...

Linda, What lovely memories each of these precious ornaments conjure up. My favorite is the lil mouse that you said you've had for over 40 years...I'm the exact same way about not getting ready of "any" ornaments in our own treasure chests of yesteryears gone by. You certainly have some precious Santas from your collection. The nativity is especially dear to me, I have some of the Willow Tree collection items myself, but not their nativity. That's very special. Hugs~ ~CC Catherine