Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Cake, a Mantel, & a Table

Got a few little ideas and projects for Met Monday, hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch, and Today's Thrifty Treasures, hosted by Rhoda at Southern Hospitality. A big "thank you" to these gals for faithfully hosting these fun events.



Let' start with dessert - that's always a good thing! Take one cake mix, crushed vanilla wafers, ice cream cones, a 5 year old birthday gal, a swimming pool, lots of friends, one clever momma (my DILaw) and what do you have? A sand castle cake! Now how cute is that?! It was delicious, too! What a great metamorphosis!

This is a free project.....it was our first coffee table in 1969 and has been hiding in the basement because it was tired of being drab brown. It has good bones (Ethan Allen) and has just gotten a fresh coat of black paint. You'll have to come back later and see it in its new home.

Great garage sale find - Laura Ashley smocked dress, flip flop dress, cute blue top, matching frog shorts & top, and a black leotard with tulle skirt attached - it's that thing that doesn't show up! All for a grand total of $2.


Found this wicker table at GW for $10 - why was it painted silver? Did Princess Leia have it in her Star Wars home?

After a fresh coat of everybody's favorite - Heirloom White - it is at home on the deck. Now I have a place to sit my iced tea and magazines!




And now for a mantel re-do. Now you minimalists just close your eyes because it's getting ready to get "busy", as well as become assymetrical.

I told my daughter to "have at it" and her decorator juices started flowing. She incorporated my $2 topiary and added some ribbon trim.

I'm sorry that the photo is a little drab, but in real life it is lovely. More restful, and less in competition with the tile (argh!) around my fire place (not pictured - duh, you know why?!).

Someone commented that they had this little S.L. basket and had never used it. She wondered what to do with it.

I had miniature pumpkins in it this fall - so cute! Right now it holds my Bible, journal, and devotional book and sits by my comfy sofa. It's always changing!


That's it for today! Don't forget to go by Susan's and Rhoda's to check out some great ideas and finds! Happy Monday! Linda

54 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

What a cute idea for a cake. It really does look like a sand castle. Great job. I love the lines of the coffee table and painted black I bet it is stunning. The little wicker end table is just the thing I have been looking for, no luck so far. I LOVE yours and painted white it is just perfect. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love the mantle! It looks beautiful and that wicker table? A steal! Looks great on the deck and I LOVE that cake!

Lou Cinda :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I much prefer the white wicker to the silver! Your mantel makeover is great. I have the same SL basket (yard sale find!) and have been wondering what to do with it. Thanks for the tips! You could do a whole post on that. :) Visiting from Rhoda's party. :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Linda, that wicker piece is so pretty & your mantel looks great. Love that mirror. Thanks for joining the party.

blushing rose said...

Oh, gosh!! I can't decide ... they are ALL so creative & wonderful recreations. Love the cake, how cute for the dimpled darlings. TTFN ~Marydon

ThriftyAnnabella said...

That cake is so cute!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Salut Linda! J'adore le gâteau en forme de château de sable! Quelle bonne idée! Et tu me fais rire avec ta table de la Princesse Leia! Tu as trouvé de très jolies robes pour les petites! Et j'attends le début de ta table! A demain!!...Debbie

Carmen said...

I do prefer the wicker table white LOL fab find!

Gwen said...

Looking great! Who needs symmetry?

MindyMac said...

I am laughing out loud at Princess Leia's table! Read that one to Scotty! The mantle definitely looks a LOT better in person, but still it pretty in pictures! Can't wait to see that big old table/bench thing!

Adrienne said...

i think your mantle looks wonderful and balanced too! who says it has to be symmetrical :) great finds! I was a huge Laura Ashley fan way back when, complete with a bow head!

ellen b. said...

Linda! Your really found some great treasures and redid and placed them just right in your home. Everything looks fabulous!

Darlene said...

That little sandcastle cake is too CUTE!!! I LOVE your finds. That wicker table from GW is FABULOUS painted white! I would have snagged that in a minute!! I am always looking for great outdoor, porch and patio furniture or things. Those childrens clothes were a fabulous find at that price!

I also love your mantle re-do.

Sue said...

That table looks 100% better in white than it did in silver. And your mantel arranged asymmetrically made a big difference. It all looks good!
:-) Sue

Four Paws and Co said...

LOVE the cake! Wow! I'm all ready to bake!

Great wicker table re-do & I'm looking forward to seeing the re-do for the EA table. Lovely mantel rearrangement too! ♥ Diane

southerninspiration said...

Looks like I need to do a post on the Acanthus Votive Basket, as several people now have them, huh? What an amazing cake, amazing wicker table redo and amazing finds from your shopping spree!!! Great job!

Suzanne

Kat said...

That cake is just adorable. What a cute, creative idea. And that wicker table was a steal! Although why on earth someone would paint wicker silver is beyond me. It looks lovely in white and on your porch. I'm glad you rescued it. Kathy

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

fun finds! i love the wicker table.

Kammy said...

Star Wars, that is too funny ! Silver.....my my....they should have sold it for less....You did get a great table and it fits right in with your chairs !
I love your new mantle decor !
That wire basket is too sweet ! I have one - but different and use it for my books too !
Hugs ~ Kammy

From the Old InkWell said...

Linda, what a cute cake! Wish you'd show us how to make it one day. :)

PAT said...

I love that cake! I'm going to remember that one, for the kiddo's.

A Hint of Home said...

The cake is adorable. Turned out too cute. I love your wicker table redo.

Vicki said...

Great mantel makeover. Cute wicker table and a great bargain at $10.
Can't wait to see the old coffee table painted black (I was holding my breath...afraid you were going to say white! LOL
Great sandcastle cake!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh, that cake is darling! And I'm showing my fireplace this week too! Yes, the old coffee table does need new duds. Can't wait to see it!
Brenda

Shirley said...

What a great find that wicker table was!! I'm always looking for wicker at GW. I love your mantle.

Roeshel said...

What a cute cake! I bet it was a hit!

I love the mantel...it's perfect. I just love topiaries and your little wicker side table is just what I've been looking for! I hope to get out to be able to participate in Thrifty Finds one of these days! :)

Thanks for sharing!
Roeshel

Ashley @ AshleysBusy said...

Hi! I don't think your mantle looks too busy at all, in fact, I'm LOVING that mirror. I love mirrors, especially ones with different/unique shapes. And that cake looks yummy!!

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Oh Linda,
That little wicker table is perfect and just what i need too! Great finds on the cute little outfits and I so love that birthday cake with cones, how clever! Hugs, cindy

Things That Inspire said...

I think homemade cakes are the best - the ones the kids will remember - what a great one your DIL made!

Unknown said...

Such great finds! Love the wicker table and the Ethan Allen coffee table. The sandcastle cake was adorable! The kiddies must have been thrilled! Love the mirror on the mantel and those Laura Ashley dresses are so darling!

Thanks for sharing your morph and your thrify treasurers!

Tina

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

I love that sand castle cake! Too cute.
The wicker table is absolutely perfect. I would love to find one just like it.
Great deal on the clothing too. Can't beat yard sales for kids' clothing!
Have a great week,
Traci

Michelle said...

The mantle looks great, and so does the new color on your wicker table. Silver????? It's amazing how paint changes things.

Claudia said...

The cake -- great idea.

The mantle -- lovely!

You are a very creative and fun woman! It shows beautifully on you.

TTFN~~Claudia ♥

Kelee Katillac said...

Great wicker and mantel!

Nicole A. said...

Your mantel looks awesome! Love that little wicker table white too! And that coffee table I am sure looks awesome!

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage said...

Ooh I love them all! I love your wicker table, looks like it found the perfect home. Your mantle looks great and I really like the basket holding your Bible and books. Everything looks great!

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage said...

Ooh I love them all! I love your wicker table, looks like it found the perfect home. Your mantle looks great and I really like the basket holding your Bible and books. Everything looks great!

Lynn said...

You have been a busy lady!
Everything turned out great!
Love the mirror.

Lisa said...

Can't wait to see the "new" table. You do such a great job with everything.

Signing Out said...

Great cake! The mantel looks lovely, too. Wonderful find on the wicker table. It looks quite at home on your porch.

Jane

Shauna said...

The mantel looks great!

Cass @ That Old House said...

LOVE the mantel -- I'm looking for the right mix of stuff for my fireplace display; yours looks lovely! and that sand castle cake is adorable. Your DIL is very creative!
Cass

★Carol★ said...

That sandcastle cake is just adorable! Your mantle is gorgeous...wish I had one! Those old coffee tables are diamonds in the rough. They were made so sturdy back then. I bet it's going to look sharp!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

I love the cake. If I had one like that when I was 5 I would have to be a princess! Bet she loved it.
The mantle is sweet and so is the little table.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training said...

So many great finds. I love the mantel redo and the mirror is beautiful! I know it was not part of the redo but I thought I would let you know I love it too!
Stop by my blog to read my most recent “funny” Goodwill story and share one that you may have. I’m going to compile them and post them all together for everyone to enjoy!
Kendra @ Domestic Princess in Training

Kathleen said...

What a cute cake!
Can't imagine silver wicker..there must have been a reason, LOL..
But I love how it looks now..

My friend just brought me a little wicker table from the dump...she thought I would find a good home for it with all my other wicker on the porch! It is in the scrub down stage right now...

Marie said...

Hello! Love your mantel and the arrangement of everything - your daughter did a fabulous job! And that silver table looks lovely painted white and sitting on your deck! Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

From the Old InkWell said...

Linda, I appreciate your kind words of encouragement and appreciation for my SIL's deployment. Thanks!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Why was that table silver!? Glad you painted white it looks perfect now! Your mantel looks great too!

Manuela

Empty Nest Full Life said...

The table is so much better white!!Who would have thought of silver? Your mantel is great! Jackie

imjacobsmom said...

Lucky find with your GW table and of course it looks so much better white, what were they thinking? Cute cake and your mantel looks great! ~ Robyn

xinex said...

Hi Linda, your daughter's got your genes. SHe did a great job on the mantel and that cake looks so nice, so creative! Your wicker table is perfect for your porch....Christine

The Stylish House said...

Linda,
That castle cake was such a cute and clever idea! It actually looks like one I could master.
I also love all you great furniture finds. The Star Wars table looks fab on your deck and I am interested in seeing how your coffee table turns out.
Cathy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

That b'day cake is adorable! Your daughter must take after her creative mother. She also did a great job on your mantel. I love your blue toile sofa (at least the glimpse I got of it). laurie