Rhoda at Southern Hospitality is hosting Today's Thrifty Treasures, where you are sure to see some fun finds from garage/yard/thrift shopping. Be sure to go by both of these wonderful sites for some great ideas!
I decided that it was time to redo the bookcase in our bedroom. Whew...makes me tired to look at this things....where does the eye rest?!
Ah....empty!
Okay, I've taken away some pictures and books and added some plates.
Still playing with it.....
Not sure that it will stay like this. Well, hubby just walked in and I asked him how he liked it. He said, "Where are all the books? I thought this was a bookcase?" Hmmmmm, any suggestions?
This is a Metamorphosis of a Thrifty Find......Daughter found a frame (free) with a broken mirror by the trash at SIL's house. She took the frame, painted it white, covered the board with the circle fabric, added the striped fabric (already had it)in the middle, attached the letters (1/2 price at HL) and glued grosgrain ribbon on the edges. How cute is that for little Jack's bedroom above the crib?!Yeah! I bought hubby a gift at a garage sale.....bun feet! 4 of them for 50 cents each (man paid $5 each originally). Don't know what we'll do with them yet, I have some ideas, but at $2 total, it's not a great loss. Hubby was excited that they were solid wood!
Why would anyone part with this wicker hamper for $2.50?!!!
I walked away from a large rolling wicker basket that was natural color because I couldn't think of a use for it. Thought of a use while driving home, got home and looked it up on line - $125 - Yikes! What was I thinking?! I did what anyone would do, hopped in the car, drove back and alas, it was gone, but the white one was still there....that'll be just fine....$10.
Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam has some great tips on yard sale shopping on April 26. I would add to her comments......be open minded, don't go looking for anything specific, if you are remotely interested - hold onto the item, think outside the box! You can find some amazing bargains, and as someone said, not only can you re-cycle, you can up-cycle! Don't forget to stop by Susan's at Between Naps on the Porch and Rhoda's at Southern Hospitality. Happy Monday! Linda


Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam has some great tips on yard sale shopping on April 26. I would add to her comments......be open minded, don't go looking for anything specific, if you are remotely interested - hold onto the item, think outside the box! You can find some amazing bargains, and as someone said, not only can you re-cycle, you can up-cycle! Don't forget to stop by Susan's at Between Naps on the Porch and Rhoda's at Southern Hospitality. Happy Monday! Linda

35 comments:
I love the bookcase redo! There is always a place for a book and I am sure you will find the spots!
Oh, Linda...J'adore ce que le Bud a dit! (Je dis "le" comme en Lorraine!) Je vois les assiettes que nous avons trouvées à Dawsonville! Tout est très joli! Et le panier à "roulettes"...adorable! Amuse-toi bien à la plage...Debbie
The bookcase redo is just lovely. It is so much more interesting now to look at. Your garage sale finds are just wonder and I love the little pic that says Jack. Very creative. Hugs, Marty
I had to laugh when I read your post- your hubby sounds just like mine with the book thing! WHy don't they get this decorating thing!!
The book cases look great!
blessings
mary
LInda- thank you for the idea for the radiator! It is a functioning one though as it is gas and gas is so high here we have been using a charming electic one. I actually wanted to tear it out but when we leave town in winter it is part of the heating that stays one while we are gone. The bookcase idea sounds great- I will have to ask hubby if it will work as it does get seldomly used! Another idea was corbels which is great- that's why I ask these things caz you ladies are just soooo smart and creative!!
blessings
mary
The bookcase looks great ! Love the wicker finds...I never knew they costed so much....I now always look at new and used purchases with a different light (because of spray paint, lol )
Great job !
Hugs ~ Kammy
Oh the bookcase looks like a decorator's dream! You did a great job arranging. What a difference!
The "new" bookcase looks wonderful!!
Men just haave to be so "literal" :) I like the clean new look. And Jack's new picture--well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!--Good job on everything!
Love that rolling basket. Glad it was there for you when you went back!
loooove the hamper you found!! it's really nice and a GREAT price!
Linda,
Great re-do with the bookcase amd I love how you think outside the box. The sign your daughter made is really well done, looks very professional. Cute hamper too! Cindy
I like to bookcase, but, I'll have to say, I love books so much that having a lot of books looks great to me too.
Christi @ A Southern Life
http://asouthernlife.com
Great bookcase re-do, but where are you going to put the books? (I have the same problem with one in the office, but I haven't unloaded it yet. I'm still looking for ideas since I have to incorporate books & storage & pretty stuff!)
I want to go thrifting with you! Love the bun feet! Great deals! ☺ Diane
The bookcase redo looks great! I know what you mean about having an open mind and not looking for something specific. I let a couple of good ones get away because I couldn't think of a use for them. Now, if I'm drawn to an item and the price is right, I buy it. I always find something to do with it, re-purpose, re-paint, or give as a gift. :)
Toni
Your bookcase looks great! It makes me laugh because men always think it's "books only" territory. Love your new finds too.
Linda, I love the difference in the bookcase. Maybe you can add a few more books back in there. I love stacking them & displaying them regular too.
Love your yardsale finds! That's a cute little sign for Jack & yes you are so right, think outside the box & grab something when you see it. You can't over-analyze these finds, if they are cheap, get them!
Awesome job with the bookcase. Very inspiring!
Hi, Linda! I found you through Rhoda and Debbie of Confessions of a Plate Addict. I just love basket-y things, and your hamper is a great find! Oh, the uses of something like that. I have the same problem with hesitating on something, only to figure out later what I could have done with it. Sad, isn't it?
Mary Lou
FAB redo of the shelves!
Your basket and hamper are great finds! Don't you just love it when you make a score like that? Thanks so much for sharing.
Charla
Those are some great finds and your bookshelf is looking good!
Happy Monday!
Hi Linda - thanks for the extra tips on yardsales. I like the bookcase re-do. The first one is my favorite! Very well done!! Kim
The bookcase redo looks great! Love the red and white plates! And the "jack" sign is just precious!!! :) ~Rhonda
* What a DELIGHTFUL change in your bookcases! WOW!!! And the rest??? Wellll, "Yer the ma'am!" today! GREAT FINDS!!!!!
Best,
Linda *
Men! What was he thinking, bookcases for books? Mine would have said the same thing. I love the Jack sign. Too cute. I hate regretting not buying something at a thrift store or yard sale. So that is why I usually buy everything I like. lol.
LOVE the Jack sign!!! My son's room ,as soon as you walk in ,you know his name.I have his name on so many different things.Love personalization.
The book case looks great.I want to redo the built ins in my dining room and get rid of the books.Dh says no ,grrr.I want white and cream only.I REALLY want to get rid of the old encyclopedias ,they do come in handy though.Just last night we were looking up King Henry after watching Tudors.Hmmm where to put those books.Wonder if dh would go for building a library to hold the books,lol.
Thanks for the inspiration...I have several book shelves I need to reorganize!
Oh, I would say thanks for the inspiration, but I'm afraid right now, it's just a guilt trip. I need to empty my bookshelves and start again. Yours look so pretty after you redid them, but I just can't make myself do it. What a cute idea for the picture over the baby bed. laurie
I love that hamper. The bookshelf is looking good, too. So much creativity! Can't wait to see what you do with those bun legs/feet thingies!
Hi Linda...It's been a while since I've made it by to visit...the bookcase looks great to my eye! The picture your daughter created is just darling...clever girl! I don't know how many times I've done exactly as you did by returning to a sale...& whatever I wanted was gone...but you still came out with a great buy...good for you... ;-) Bo
Fantastic finds. Love your bookshelves.
The wicker hamper and the rolling basket are great. Good deal on the rolling cart.
Love the frame, with made over!!! What great deals one the hamper!! I looked at your soup tureens! Wow you are so lucky! I can't find the first one! You all have me hoping to find one soon! lol I went to a neighborhood garage sale, I brought home a whole pick up load stacked!! I am having so much fun with it! I have not taken time to take a picture! lol
I purchased 4 bun feet recently at a hardware store and I gave $8 a piece! You did good!
Wow, Linda! You have some great finds there! And I like your cabinet decor. :-)
XO,
Sheila :-)
Post a Comment